Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ubtree
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 23:50:50
Print Post

Connecting antennae

[link to this post]

I 'm having problems transmitting through walls, and have decided to upgrade to a 802.11n network, with a Billion router and a TP-Link network card, and to replace one of the standard antenna on each with a directional antenna (probably a TP-Link antenna).

I know very little about wireless antennae, and I've been unable to source any information on the practicalities eg. the types of antennna sockets/connectors on router and card, and the types of connectors on the antennae and extension cables. I would be very grateful for any pointers or advice.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-12 01:19:29
Print Post

Re: Connecting antennae

[re: Ubtree] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ubtree:
I know very little about wireless antennae,

It shows ... why would you want to attach the feelers from the heads of insects to your WAP? You would be better attaching antennas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Feb-12 10:46:30
Print Post

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-indoorantenna-24.htm

The reverse SMA plugs are pretty standard fare, not sure what it is on the TP Link routers.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/11/can-you-boost-wi-f... some various ways people have got better signals apparently

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ubtree
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 10:51:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by Ubtree:
... why would you want to attach the feelers from the heads of insects to your WAP? You would be better attaching antennas.

I'm actually intending to connect commercially available devices designed to convert radio waves to electric currents.

Until now, the English and latinate plural forms of "antenna" have always been alternatives in the U.K. (although not in the U,S,) when referring to multiple aerials,. When did this change?

Any helpful on topic suggestions would still be very welcome.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-12 11:20:30
Print Post

Antennas has been in use in the UK for at least 30 years and Chambers dictionary specifically differentiates.

http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/ch...

The only pieces of advice I can give: stick with a single manufacturer for extension antennas and WAP. Fitting a different brand of antenna may work but with mismatched impedances you could end up with lower power or no increase. Directionals work, but the moment you move across the room the signal drops completely and may still not be enough to get through wall.

I have seen many attempts at using various combinations of antennas and very few give an OVERALL improvement. The ones which have worked best are those which retain the original OMNI antenna and uses an extension cable to allow appropriate positioning, but even that can results signal degradation

If your problems are that bad, run fixed ethernet cabling to additional locations and install extra WAPs. I currently have 4 WAPs running as I have steel sheets across the floors and foiled backed plasterboard in certain areas - all are wire back to the main switch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 19:19:24
Print Post

You might not believe this, but in the past many posters have reported putting a house-hold aluminium foil curved reflector behind the router antenna can help.

I expect if you can get it basically a parabolic curvature that would be best, if you can work out the focal point. Many years ago I could have typed the formula here and now frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-12 12:52:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Google's your friend: parabolic homemade wifi

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 21:06:44
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

smile
I'm a bit concerned about the medical implications of the fourth link I see there at the moment. "parabolic Asian cooking(dumpling) strainer is the perfect candida.".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to