Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User grumpycrab
(learned) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:10:14
Print Post

Should DSL be always synced?

[link to this post]

Hi, with talktalk (don't ask) and tiscali before (don't ask) and for years everything's been fine. We leave our Speedstream 4400 (yer, very old) on all the time and the DSL light has always been on 100% of the time.

2 weeks ago we've started to lose sync. Sync has benn going on/off for 1-2 days at a time. We've persuaded to get talktalk to give us an up-to-date modem/router.

My question is - under normal circumstance should DSL be synced 100% of the time. Secondly, asuming the modem and connections at the subscriber end are all OK, what could the reasons be for the DSL sync being eratic like this. (we're low uses and also have talktalk phone package - the phone works fine.) thanks.
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:17:45
Print Post

Re: Should DSL be always synced?

[re: grumpycrab] [link to this post]

It should be connected almost 100% of the time and if it is dropping then it could be due to a number of factors...

Poor line, faulty equipment, bad weather... The list goes on...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User grumpycrab
(learned) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:20:51
Print Post

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Thanks. Does the modem/router equipment at the subs end determine how good a line test the ISP can do? What I'm saying is if we replace our ancient Speedstream 4400 with a modern modem/router will that make the ISPs job easier to work out what the problem is?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:35:01
Print Post

I don't think so but hopefully someone else can answer that...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mysticeddy
(learned) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:20:14
Print Post

If the new router you're getting always TT to remotely log in to the router, it will allow them to change settings themselves rather than telling you what to do. So in that respect, it can help them to diagnose line problems but as for 'seeing' the problem better, it won't help one iota.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:50:10
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

In terms of remote access to change settings no difference. The data available to talktalk is actually data exchanged by modems to the hardware in the exchange

The thing you need to do is find out where the ADSL modem stats are in the router, and look at these yourselves. ISP support is not going to spend the time looking at these daily for a line that is just one of millions.

DSL modems do resync, usually as a result of a noise spike, or for example ice causing problems with a joint, or snow weighing down overhead cables and making a connection intermittment

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 00:19:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And they can just die, slowly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Tue 14-Feb-12 13:33:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

As Andrew described above there are multiple variable to take into consideration.

However if you are experiencing any issues and require support please feel free to tweet us @TalkTalkCare or contact us via the TalkTalk Members Forum

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to