Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:15:36
Print Post

Extension Ethernet or BT Extension?

[link to this post]

Hi all smile

As with most of us, our telephone points are not always where we want them (mine is in the master bedroom) frown

I need my router to be close to my Sky+HD box due to Anytime+ (VOD Service).

I have purchased an adsl Faceplate and was wondering, would it be best to place the Router near to the BT Socket and then run an Ethernet Cable directly to my Sky Box? In fact, I have a PlayStation3 near the Sky+HD box so would I be best runiing one ethernet cable into a switch and then connect the relevant equipment?

The extension Sky have provided looks cheap and nasty and for some reson the Caller ID Service doesn't work via the extension and extension blocks, it only works if I plug it directly into the main BT point with a filter of course. So, something isn't quite right with the Sky provided extension.

So, all in all - What would be the best route to take - A new better quality telephone extension or the ethernet way and would there be any difference between the two other than expense?

Many thanks in advance.....

ShaverZ

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:04:09
Print Post

Re: Extension Ethernet or BT Extension?

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Yes. Install the router at the earliest possible point that you can. That helps to minimise any additional noise/interference being picked up and affecting the signal. In a house there are plenty of noise sources: TV, fridge, radio/tuner, freezer, central heating, power supplies for gadgets and many more. Forget using long 'phone extensions. If they are flat - you service will suffer severely and even twisted pair extensions can cause degradation.

Then, install an RJ45 faceplate close to that position, and a second one where you want the switch - run Cat5e cable between the two and short patch leads from socket to Router and Socket to switch. You could get a long 20m patch lead and run that, plugging in at both ends but they are not designed to be clipped down or passed through small holes.

Get a suitable switch, work out how many ports you need (including the incoming) and add 4 - because you know you will need to expand. Use a Gbit switch and everything connected to that and you have a small Gbit network with just the connection to the outside world and the DHCP server at 100Mbit - but that is above the ADSL/VDSL max anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:51:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Many thanks smile Looks like i'm going to be busy this weekend :/

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:56:01
Print Post

Have a look at: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4090786-re-...

It suggests what you could use ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-12 16:43:59
Print Post

Generally a hybrid solution is the best answer.

The most common place for the master socket is just inside the front door in the hallway, not exactly the ideal place, often few power points and nowhere convenient to put the router. In this kind of scenario I would run a short unfiltered line extension to a convenient point for example to the nearest room with a power outlet as a few meters of phone cable won't make any significant impact as long as it is twisted pair. Then use ethernet from that point on.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-12 22:12:57
Print Post

[re: Going_Digital] [link to this post]

Actually, I have a pair of Belkin Powerline HD Adapters, do you recommend me use these instead of running cables and it avoids the cost?

Thanks all....

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to