Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User c4rtm4n
(member) Wed 22-Feb-12 22:38:04
Print Post

New Router For FTTC

[link to this post]

FTTC will eventually be coming to my exchange in June & our new cabinet was installed on Monday so my thoughts are now starting to turn to replacing my router.

Currently I 'm using a Speedtouch 780 with an additional 8 port switch attached to feed the various hardwired PCs etc in the house but we're also using wifi (very congested with our neighbours hence the switch) and VoIP via the Speedtouch (with fallback to / lowest cost routing using the normal phone line). I have 8 fixed IPs, 3 of which are being used by equipment on the network, the rest of the PCs etc are using NAT.

Any advice on what router to go for that will give me the same or better features (I'd prefer Gigabit LAN & Wireless N) than my trusty Speedtouch? Ideally I'd prefer to go for a single integrated modem / router rather than having to have a separate box powered & left on all of the time (unless someone can give me a good reason to go down this route). No specific budget but I'd prefer to keep costs under £150 - £200 if I can.

A Draytek 2850Vn seems to fit the bill (the 2750Vn seems to fall short but I may have misunderstood some of the specs) but are there any others? How good are the 2850s?

TIA

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Feb-12 00:03:16
Print Post

Re: New Router For FTTC

[re: c4rtm4n] [link to this post]

I can't speak for the Draytek 2850Vn but it looks the part. My main reason for posting is that the Openreach engineer doing your installation will insist on installing their VDSL2 modem. They have two different ones these days. The one they suppply depends on the make of the FTTC cabinet that gets installed.

Some people have later substituted a modem/router as you wish to, but strictly speaking you are probably invalidating any service guarantees. The modem is regarded as the broadband termination point on FTTC installations.

Of course there is nothing to stop you using the Draytek in pure router etc. mode at the time, and doing whatever you want afterwards.

There's a lot of relevant discussion in the Fibre Broadband forum, including some Drayteks and Fritz box stuff.

The FTTC profile in use is now 17a, so that's OK. Off the top of my head I can't remember what band plan is employed. Neither can I remember what profile is expected when 80/20 products are released soon. You should find all that in the Fibre forum.

The threads about Huawei 612 stats are useful re the band plans.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 23-Feb-12 00:04:11)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-12 17:42:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They have two different ones these days. The one they suppply depends on the make of the FTTC cabinet that gets installed.

Can you elaborate one this please?

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 18:40:49
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They have two different ones these days. The one they suppply depends on the make of the FTTC cabinet that gets installed.

Can you elaborate one this please?

DrT
There is the Huawei EchoLife HG612 modem, of which you are very familiar and there is also the newer ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B modem [1].

[1] http://www.ecitele.com/OurOffering/Products/Pages/B-...

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Thu 23-Feb-12 18:47:41)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 23-Feb-12 19:43:10
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Is the new one locked?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 19:50:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Is the new one locked?
Yes, unfortunately. frown

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:13:31
Print Post

Thanks.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:40:46
Print Post

And further to my previous, brief comment, I am aware that asbokid and uklad are giving one of those B-FOCuS modems their best attention. At present, the biggest problem is obtaining access to one of the them, so as to be able to play . . . tongue

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:41:30
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

You're welcome. smile

Standard User c4rtm4n
(member) Fri 24-Feb-12 19:36:14
Print Post

Accepting the bit about service guarantees, is there any other good reason that I should keep the BT modem?

Steve
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to