Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-12 17:29:52
Print Post

Wifi Card for use with Billion 7800n

[link to this post]

Can someone recommend a good Internal Wireless Card (n) for use with my Billion 7800n router? I've read that Ralink Cards a good with Billion routers...

Also, would I gain any extra performance if I use a PCIe card instead of a PCI card? I would prefer to get a PCI Card.....

Many thanks in advance....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Tue 28-Feb-12 17:49:33
Print Post

Re: Wifi Card for use with Billion 7800n

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

You're right, ralink cards work very well with Billion routers. I'm using this card (uses Ralink RT2860 chip) with my 7800N and works like a dream. Just bear in mind to use Ralink drivers rather than Edimax drivers as the ralink ones tend to be more up to date. You won't regret it! smile
http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-12 19:14:23
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Many thanks, just ordered... I'm currently using an old Linksys 54g Wireless Card, am I likely to see any speed improvement as my current card only supports upto 54Mb rate or will it just improve range only?

Thanks for your help, downloaded the Ralink Drivers all ready for when the Edimax arrives... Hopefully before the weekend smile

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
You're right, ralink cards work very well with Billion routers. I'm using this card (uses Ralink RT2860 chip) with my 7800N and works like a dream. Just bear in mind to use Ralink drivers rather than Edimax drivers as the ralink ones tend to be more up to date. You won't regret it! smile
http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?...

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Tue 28-Feb-12 20:36:07
Print Post

Yes you'll definitely see an improvement in wireless speeds as wireless N is 'up to 300 mbps' as well as having more penetration than wireless G.

When installing the Ralink software, you'll have 2 installation options: install driver only or install driver & wireless utility software. I suggest you go for the 'driver only' installation mode as the wireless utility software is bloatware and not really needed.

Let us know how you get on smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-12 20:43:57
Print Post

I'll update you once I get setup, which will hopefully be soon smile
I never use the utilities that come with these drivers, I have yet to use one which works well.
I remember I had a Netgear Wireless Card and boy, I had more hassle from that than I ever did with my ex! That's for real frown

Thanks again for your help, speak soon.... laugh

My Broadband Speed Test
(experienced) Sun 18-Mar-12 13:51:28
Print Post

Hi! Sorry for the late update but it seems the company I ordered the card off was based in Germany and not the UK as stated on Amazon Marketplace, so took a while to arrive.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any improvement in speeds but boy I have noticed the wireless range increase.

I'm using the Ralink Drivers as you suggested and all seems to be running smooth, thanks for your help, much appreciated...

Shane 'ShaverZ' Osborne

My Broadband Speed Test
(committed) Mon 19-Mar-12 07:42:38
Print Post

Glad to hear its working well smile To make sure you're using the best wireless channel on your 7800N use something like vistumbler or netstumbler to scan for other networks in your area and use the least congested channel.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
  Print Thread

Jump to