Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mawallace
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 07:58:27
Print Post

Router - wired no wirless - for Home netwrok

[link to this post]

I have been using a Net gear DG834 v 4 for a long time, but since my phone exchange has been updated to 21CN I have trouble with it dropping when the line speed changes it sync speed.

I have borrowed a Bullion Wireless router and the drops have gone!

My ISP have suggested I purchase an alternative router.

What is your experience of good ASDL routers to use with 21CN?

What about the Thomspon Speedtouchs? e.g Thomson SpeedTouch 546 v6 ADSL 2+ Router

What about the Zytel?
Any others?ZyXEL Prestige 660R-D1 Compact ADSL 2+ Router

What about Billion?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 05-Mar-12 09:01:21
Print Post

Re: Router - wired no wirless - for Home netwrok

[re: mawallace] [link to this post]

Perhaps your Netgear is failing.

My personal view is they're all pretty much of a muchness.

Do you have special line conditions you have to cater for? Some routers are said to be better on long lines.

If you are not sure it may be worth posting your current line stats. See http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Standard User mawallace
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 09:21:02
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Cuurent stats:-

Downstream Upstream
Data Rate (kbps) 5728 448
Noise Margin (dB) 6.0 27.0
Attenuation (dB) 44.0 25.0
Output power(dbm) 19.8 12.1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mawallace
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 09:22:11
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I have tried two Netgear's with same results - and yes I have changed all filters etc etc
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:02:15
Print Post

Billion 7800 might be worth a shot with it's tweakable SNR page. But be warned I have noticed some odd anomolies with download speed, sometimes pausing with big files. Other than that it's a feature packed router.

The Speedtouch 546v6 is cheap as chips on Ebay and doesnt suffer the above slowdowns but sometimes does spontaneously reboot. You would also have to find old firmware for it in order to tweak the SNR.

Haven't tried any others yet.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Mar-12 15:10:09
Print Post

Whats wrong with getting another model of the type you borrowed. If that model is known to work well then just use one of those.

If its a wireless worry, buy that model without wireless or just turn it off.

If your line is a little picky on routers, you could end up trying loads and end up back at the billion

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 17:05:34
Print Post

Some ISPs such as PlusNet will send you a new router FOC so long as you stay with them for a year.

If you plan to stay anyway, the option is free.

Michael Chare
Standard User nickscs
(regular) Mon 05-Mar-12 17:05:39
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Hi,

I use a Speedtouch 585v6 and my exchange has just been upgraded to 21CN. I bought a Billion 7800N after reading reports of them on here and tried it for a week on adsl2 and 2+, it synced lower ( nearly half a Mb) than the speedtouch, and altho would hang onto a lower SNR and was very stable, there was no real advantage over my speedtouch to justify the large expense. So I sent it back .

My rubbish long line (52db attenuation) runs best on adsl2 , and my Speedtouch hangs happily on 5db SNR during the day and drops to about 3 db at night without losing sync. I use DMT tool to tweak the SNR and dsl settings. I use software version 6.1.4.3, which is the latest that can be tweaked with DMT, and can let you have a copy if you wish.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 17:12:28
Print Post

[re: nickscs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nickscs:
Hi,

I use a Speedtouch 585v6 and my exchange has just been upgraded to 21CN. I bought a Billion 7800N after reading reports of them on here and tried it for a week on adsl2 and 2+, it synced lower ( nearly half a Mb) than the speedtouch, and altho would hang onto a lower SNR and was very stable, there was no real advantage over my speedtouch to justify the large expense. So I sent it back .

My rubbish long line (52db attenuation) runs best on adsl2 , and my Speedtouch hangs happily on 5db SNR during the day and drops to about 3 db at night without losing sync. I use DMT tool to tweak the SNR and dsl settings. I use software version 6.1.4.3, which is the latest that can be tweaked with DMT, and can let you have a copy if you wish.

Thanks I have that firmware already but the Billion hangs onto SNR as low as 0.2db, havent tried it any lower but for some reason the two 546v6 routers I have will reboot randomly. Have never found a solution for this but the Billion doesnt do well on large downloads, neither is perfect.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User nickscs
(regular) Mon 05-Mar-12 20:31:17
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I found the Billion would hang on easily at 0.5 - 1 db SNR but the throughput dropped drastically in speedtests, so no gain to go lower than 4.5 SNR daytime. So stuck with my Speedtouch. I used to get random re-boots, as you mention when using version 6.0.5... but since flashing to 6.1.4.3 its been very stable. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to