Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mot
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 11:46:38
Print Post

Sky Fibre router

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I know it's been asked a load of times but I too want my own specific thread, haha.

It seems there's no benchmark router available in the FTTC world at the moment. ie, the DG834GT for great ADSL sync speed with broadcom based exchange equipment.

I recently switched from the DG834GT after many years of faithful service as it was playing up with Bonjour. I now have a Billion 7800n which is great with my current Sky LLU connection.
My only complaint is that there's no 5Ghz in there. Being a mostly mac household, 2.4Ghz provides pretty poor file TX speeds as apple don't see fit to allow channel bonding at 2.4Ghz.

Sky have also thrown a question mark now by offering me fibre (install date the 19th)
I'd like to get a different router in by then, but I could do with some help deciding which to go for..

The only things I want for sure are gigabit ports and simultaneous 2.4 & 5Ghz.
NAT loopback would be nice too as my netgear didn't have that and it's proves pretty useful with the 7800n.

I already have a airpiort extreme upstairs as a WAP but wouldn't consider using it as a main router due to it's poor port forwarding, UPnP and NAT.

I spotted this but nowhere seems to have it listed for sale?
Standard User Mot
(committed) Wed 07-Mar-12 11:50:22
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre router

[re: Mot] [link to this post]

Anyone care to express an opinion?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Mar-12 12:23:19
Print Post

What router are Sky going to supply? That surely forms the baseline.

I'd be tempted to use their supplied device for routing, and turn off its wireless, and use my own wireless access point to provide dual 2.4 and 5GHz wireless.

NETGEAR 5 GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge WNHDE111

havent looked too deep, as the 5GHz is bad at getting through walls. Which is why an AP may help, as you can place this closer to the best location, than perhaps what is best place for terminating all the ethernet cables.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TaylorDJN
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 15:33:46
Print Post

Modem Huawei Echolife HG612
Sky wireless router Sagemcom 2504N V7.
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Sat 10-Mar-12 18:03:53
Print Post

Hi
Try http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist/wireless-router

The asus seems to be well recommended (£90)

IAn
Standard User ukpm
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:02:04
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

I believe Sky are supplying the same router for all new connections, but in the case of fibre they just make the yellow coloured LAN port a WAN port that connects to the Openreach modem. If you already have the latest Sagemcom router, as I understand it, they just do a firmware upgrade to reconfigure that LAN port.

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:22:53
Print Post

[re: ukpm] [link to this post]

Sure you don't mean the blue LAN port morphs into an EWAN port?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukpm
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:25:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Probably, yes! Can never remember the colour and I'm at work and can't check.

Seems like a clever enough way to do things, although I'm sure there are some who'll be annoyed at the loss of an Ethernet switch port.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to