Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User whisper
(learned) Sat 24-Mar-12 14:56:35
Print Post

Going round and round in circles with Routers & DSlam!

[link to this post]

Have had the BT engineer out twice this week to check out our voice line. Voice line is intermittently noisy. Came back this morning did the same tests and said line was fine - showed me his laptop and everything was green. Our Exchange, Winslow, was upgraded to 21CN and since then we have been subject to lines dropping several times a day. We are quite a distance from the exchange, 4.2km as the crow flies. BT Engineer said he will ask for an SFI Engineer on Broadband side to come and investigate. Not sure whether he can do that but that is what he said. We have a 2Wire 2700HGB router which has been stable but since the change doesn't want to play nicely any more. Attenuation is 53 and SNR currently at 9 because of all the disconnections. When the line disconnects the 2700HGB shows "ERR_INCONSISTENT_SIGNAL" and when it tries to reconnect it takes several goes as if it is finding it hard to see a signal.

As the chip at the DSlam is reported as Infineon by the 2700HGB router, thought buying a modem router with the same chip would help but can't seem to find out which routers have that chip. Recently bought a Billion Bipac 7800N which has a Broadcom chipset but that kept dropping out too. We are with Zen if that helps any. Have been back and forth to Zen and it was suggested that we try the Technicolour 582n router. Was told originally that it had an Infineon chip but it turns out it doesn't, it has the later Broadcom chip.

Is anyone using an Infineon based router, have Infineon at the Dslam and have a long line? If so, which router are you using and is it stable?

Any help much appreciated.

Marie
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sat 24-Mar-12 23:08:27
Print Post

Re: Going round and round in circles with Routers & DSlam!

[re: whisper] [link to this post]

I know the TG585v8 has Infineon chipset..

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sun 25-Mar-12 02:01:51
Print Post

My D+E-side line length is around 3400 metres in total and it connects to a DSLAM with an Infineon chip-set.

I use a 2Wire 2700HG modem/router and have absolutely no problem with it. At sync time, it will first try ADSL2+ but, due to the signal attenuation over the ADSL2+ frequency range, it will drop back to ADSL2. With a target SNRM of 6 dB (and without DLM configured on the line), I will obtain a DS sync speed of 5450 kbps and an US sync speed of 1008 kbps.

I have also tested with a Netgear DG834G and with the latter device I could force the mode to either ADSL or ADSL2+. Neither mode gave me superior performance to that of the 2Wire using ADSL2.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User whisper
(learned) Thu 29-Mar-12 08:02:10
Print Post

Many thanks for help. All sorted now. Turned out to be the filtered faceplate had gone bad! Been connected now for 5 days without any drops - unheard of for our line.
  Print Thread

Jump to