Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alibali
(newbie) Sat 21-Apr-12 09:11:49
Print Post

Changing setting on Vigor 2830n with mac

[link to this post]

I have had a vigour 2830n for a year now but I'm have problems with my IP provider Demon in the UK. I should get 1.7 d/l but in the past few weeks i only get well under 0.4 d/l or less. But now and then it jumps up to 1.2 1.7 for a minute or so!

We have a home office with 2 macs connected by Ethernet and 2 macs connected by wifi and we have 4 iPhones and an iPad and our connection is very secure with passwords to our router and macs. At any one time only 2 macs would be using the internet.

We have rebooted out router firmware is up to date Macs are all upgraded to Lion OSX (which we only upgraded to 2 weeks ago).

I have read that changing my router's mode from G.DMT to Multimode (to benefit from ADSL 2+). or vice versa may make a difference?

Can anyone explain how to do this as I can't see anywhere info for G.DMT to Multimode on my router if you can point me to this in a step by step guide so I can go into my routes control panels and try this?

many thanks in advance. Allister
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Apr-12 09:38:44
Print Post

Re: Changing setting on Vigor 2830n with mac

[re: alibali] [link to this post]

This might sound irrelevant, but it isn't.

If you use a preferably corded phone and do the Quiet line test, do you hear anything? 17070 option 2.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User alibali
(newbie) Sat 21-Apr-12 09:41:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply - but I'm not sure what you mean?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Apr-12 09:45:10
Print Post

On the landline phone, not a mobile, dial 17070. It will give you some options. Take option 2. Listen for noise for 2-3 minutes.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User alibali
(newbie) Sat 21-Apr-12 09:49:17
Print Post

tried it just a very low buzz hardly anything
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Apr-12 10:07:53
Print Post

There probably shouldn't even be that - most people can't hear anything, though apparently there is a very very quiet sound. If there is noise there you see, it could mean there is also noise in the broadband frequencies that you can't hear anyway. Getting the voice side fixed is nearly always the easiest thing to do in that case, as it is usually the same fault causing the broadband one.

Let's assume yours is OK for now.

Did you get any of all this kit at the time the problem started? What happens if, when it is slow, you unplug all charging and power supply devices from the mains?

Have you got a new TV or Sky box?

So I or someone else can check whether ADSL2+ is available at your exchange, please can you tell us which exchange it is?Before we start seeing if your router can be set to it.

I have to go for a bit now. Back later.

'Doh! (By the way, you could be posting a fair bit here. It takes a couple of minutes to register, and it's much easier once you have done. No captcha to fill in for every post, a lot less adverts, and lots of other goodies smile).

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 21-Apr-12 15:55:13)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Apr-12 14:16:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There probably shouldn't even be that - most people can't hear anything, though apparently there is a very very quiet sound. If there is noise there you see, it could mean there is also noise in the broadband frequencies that you can't hear anyway. Getting the voice side fixed is nearly always the easiest thing to do in that case, as it is usually the same fault causing the broadband one.

Let's assume yours is OK for now.

Did you get any of all this kit at the time the problem started? What happens if, when it is slow, you unplug all charging and power supply devices from the mains?

Have you got a new TV or Sky box?

So I or someone else can check whether ADSL2+ is available at your exchange, please can you tell us which exchange it is?Before we start seeing if your router can be set to it.

I have to go for a bit now. Back later.

(By the way, you could be posting a fair bit here. It takes a couple of minutes to register, and it's much easier once you have done. No captcha to fill in for every post, a lot less adverts, and lots of other goodies smile).

Err the OP has registered shirley tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Apr-12 15:55:59
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

All I need now is a convenient brick wall.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Apr-12 19:07:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
All I need now is a convenient brick wall.

Here you are and have a rest while you're there smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
  Print Thread

Jump to