Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 30-Apr-12 06:27:48
Print Post

Is BT Infinity 2 Home Hub 3 wireless router dual band?

[link to this post]

The BT tech I have spoken with do not know. Dual band permits having two devices at two different speeds at the same time, whereas if it is not a dual band wireless router, the speed lowers to the speed of the slowest device (e.g., wireless g on smartphone, wireless n on laptop).

Is BT Infinity 2 HomeHub 3 wireless router dual band?
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Mon 30-Apr-12 08:32:19
Print Post

Re: Is BT Infinity 2 Home Hub 3 wireless router dual band?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It's not dual band however you are wrong in saying every device will slow down to the slowest devices speed

Every device connects as quick as it can so one device may connect at 5 Mbps and another at 144 Mbps

The 144 Wont be slowed down to 5 Mbps all of the time
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-12 09:22:48
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Dual band is usually taken to mean 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(regular) Mon 30-Apr-12 10:32:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My understanding is that it ( and most other wireless routers) will only use either 802n OR 802g at any time so if you have a g device it will default to 802g and therefore both devices will be slower.

Each device may be at a different speed but both/ all will use the same wireless standard.

If all devices are 802n they will all use the higher standard but may be at different speeds depending on device/distance/interference etc.

As Andrew says, dual bands are to do with two different wavelengths at the same time, but I think they both use the same standard at the same time..
  Print Thread

Jump to