Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RepairExpert
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-May-12 14:35:24
Print Post

13com 3CRWE754G72A and TP-link TD-W8920G Routers

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My ISP Virgin Media is changing over to ADSL2+ on 17th of this month and I was wondering if my 3com router would be compatible.

I found this thread...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/2717738-ads...
from Oct 2006 but the question never seemed to get resolved. Any ideas?

Also I have a TP-link router TD-W8920G; but have failed to get this to work on my VM connection on ADSL (before the changeover to ADSL2+). I can find nothing in the spec to suggest whether it will work on ADSL as well as ADSL2+. I would have thought it would have been downwardly compatible, but could be wrong. Guess what, Virgin doesn't support TP-link modems. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

(experienced) Sun 06-May-12 15:33:54
Print Post

Re: 13com 3CRWE754G72A and TP-link TD-W8920G Routers

[re: RepairExpert] [link to this post]

There is a post by Phil (yarwell) on that thread:
look at the list of supported standards, it includes ADSL2+

There's also a nice TBB review here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/39-3c... - though I couldn't locate anywhere where it specifically states what protocols it supports. But being a 2004 article (that makes me feel old), ADSL2+ was yet to be main stream anywhere.

Also, I am running one of the very first versions of these routers on my current connection, the 3CRWDR100A-72. This supports ADSL2+ , so I would imagine yours being a later version, does also.

Shame 3Com got bought out by HP, and that most of this kit is now legacy. I've had my 3Com unit for about 7 years now, and it hasn't yet failed me, once. It was running for about 3 years solid, 24/7 (until a year or so ago) serving wireless customers in a pub in south east London, on a BE line, and I've been running the same unit since, now on my AAISP connection, for the past year and half. I do only run it as a dumb bridge though, as I did clock the wireless would sometimes flake out from time to time (and it's only 802.11b/g wireless). So I got some dedicated wireless-N units to address that. But as for just using it as a plain, simple ADSL2+ modem, I can't fault it at all. Very reliable, and I can't see any immediate issues with running it on VM.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Sun 06-May-12 15:35:23)

Standard User RepairExpert
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-May-12 17:13:40
Print Post

Re: 13com 3CRWE754G72A and TP-link TD-W8920G Routers

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply mixt,

I've been running this one 24/7 for 2 or 3 years now and it's only dropped out a few times; probably due to the exchange glitches rather than the router; and the occasional loss of the VM service.

My son; a network programmer, got it for me second hand and it's given good service; strangely one of my other sons had the identical model and had no problems with it either.

I'll leave it till the changeover and see what happens; at the worse I will get ADSL through it as I assume the DSLAM at the exchange will default to that if it can't see an ADSL2+ router my end.

I still can't find out if the TP-link one will work with just ADSL as there's nothing in the docs to say whether it will or not.

Thanks,

Mike.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to