Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maggiej
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 07:19:38
Print Post

Netgear DG834G v 5 - Fault??

[link to this post]

Just a question from a very non-techi female!

Have always enjoyed a very stable broadband connection with no issues. However, over the last couple of weeks have been experiencing loss of connection and the dreaded BT Wholesale message. Checked with my ISP who advise no probs - although there was a BT outage on Saturday. However following reboots things run smoothly for a while. However over this weekend in the status section - modem - the downstream speed fluctuates wildly. I've checked this all weekend. For example:

17.51 hrs DOWN 17598 UP 1243
17.52 hrs DOWN 4083 UP 1243

In each case the attenuation and SNR remain the same.

Have done various speed tests on different speed sites and all give the speed as varying roughly between 14600 and 15300 - which is fine. So All I can assume is that the router is faulty???

No doubt somewhere can help me.

Thanks
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Mon 14-May-12 08:46:48
Print Post

Re: Netgear DG834G v 5 - Fault??

[re: maggiej] [link to this post]

Hi Maggie - Netgear unlikely to be faulty, you need to start with the basics...

Is EVERY device connected to a telephone socket filtered?

Has anything been added / changed on the telephone line?

Is there any noise or crackling on the telephone line?

The message you mention sounds like an BT fault page and certainly not related to your router.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 14-May-12 09:04:00
Print Post

Are those figures the down and up stream sync rates? It does seem odd that they vary so dramatically. The example you gave shows a drop, does the sync rate rise just as rapidly?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 14-May-12 11:08:43
Print Post

If the sync is changing so drastically, download a copy of Router Stats Lite from http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerst...

Set it up to record the downstream sync and SNR at 30 second or 1 minute intervals. It will happily work in the background, then when you have a 24 hour graph, post an image on a suitable hosting site and provide a link.

It will be useful to see if it is a sudden change or is a degradation over time and similarly, how it recovers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User maggiej
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 19:10:44
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

Hi TechGuy

Thanks for yr advices - in response to your queries:

Yes, all telephone sockets are filtered
Nothing has changed on the line
Did the BT quiet test - nothing untoward there. No noise whatsoever.

Bit of a mystery!!!
Standard User maggiej
(learned) Mon 14-May-12 19:33:03
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Are those figures the down and up stream sync rates? It does seem odd that they vary so dramatically. The example you gave shows a drop, does the sync rate rise just as rapidly?

Thanks John

The figures are the actual connection speeds downstream & upstream given by the roouter stats page. It is only the downstream figure that changes - the upstream remains exactly the same. The speed goes back up as quickly as it drops and is up and down like a yo-yo.

I've had a word with my ISP who has done a line test which indicates some packet loss?? whatever that may be and they could see no evidence of the fluctuating speed as given by the router. They have said that my speed has remained constant and have suggested doing a BT speed test. This I've done whilst the router was showing downstream 4083 but it didn't pick it up. Suppose that's cos by the time the Speed Test was underway, my speed had risen back to 17000 odd. I will continue to do further tests and see what happens.
Standard User maggiej
(learned) Mon 14-May-12 19:46:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks

Very frustratingly I already have a copy of Router Stats Lite (& full blown Router Stats) which I have been trying to get to run on my computer for the last couple of months without success. If I could get this working it would be just the ticket for getting to the grips with this matter.

Maybe you can help me, I used to have an earlier version which I eventually managed to work after much of a struggle. Then it stopped working. I can't get either the RS Lite or RS to work, it just will not pick up the stats page from the router. Have tried everything I can think of but still no luck. Could it be something to do with the fact that the URL for the router is not the generic whatever but 10.0.0.1. Have tried using the DG834v5 link and changing the default URL to 10.0.0.1 and the user defined link with the URL details but absolutely nothing - just ERROR!

Any advices????
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 14-May-12 19:54:19
Print Post

Make sure you have the latest version of RSL.

Using teh 10.0.0.1 IP address should not matter - I use the 172.16.xxx.xxx range and previously had a 10.0.xx.xx network. Make sure you input the URL correctly as http://10.0.0.1

Try both versions of the DG834 and see.

Check you have the correct Username and Password.

Also, give it time ... sometimes I found that it would take three or four intervals before it picked up the data so with a 600 second interval, give it 5 minutes.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 14-May-12 19:56:57
Print Post

You mention packet loss ... have you tried the TBB Broadband Quality / Ping Monitor?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors/create.html

Run that for a day or so and you should be able to post a link to your graph - provided your IP address does not change.

M H C

Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Wed 23-May-12 09:03:30
Print Post

Hi Maggie,

Did you get anywhere with this? - I have a client with a very similar issue with the speed alternating between about 15800 and 3700 - but the SNR alternates between 6 and 27dB at the same time...

Also a Netgear DG834 - but a V3, I think
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to