Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thommo41
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 10:35:44
Print Post

BE Box (TG585V7) for O2 standard home broadband?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Simple question really, I think!
My O2 box at home is a really tired old original Speedtouch router, probably 5 years old now. I have a new BE Box at work that we've never used, it was sent as part of our BE Business broadband package, so is pre-configured to bridge mode so we can use devices behind it with our static IP's.

Can anyone tell me if this will work with my home O2 broadband connection? I don't obviously have any static IP's at home and NAT is enabled so I get private IP's assigned to my devices. The BE box doesn't seem to let me set it up with anything other than BRIDGE or STATIC IP mode.

Any ideas on how to fool it? Does anyone have any O2 firmware for the TG585V7 that I can apply to this BE Box? I also have another TG585V7 from Demon, but I couldn't get that to take the correct VPI/VCI settings.

Thanks in advance, Alan
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-May-12 11:11:11
Print Post

Re: BE Box (TG585V7) for O2 standard home broadband?

[re: thommo41] [link to this post]

Contact O2 & tell them you have an old box and having problems. I did, got a new router (v5?) & my speeds have increased fom 5meg to 9/10. Their customer service people are very good.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-May-12 19:33:35
Print Post

I successfully loaded the O2 firmware from here on my Bebox.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thommo41
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 21:14:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I actually found the firmware you sent the link to after posting my question, It flashed and branded the box as O2 just fine, but it would only allow a fixed static ip address setup. It wouldn't work at home (tried it tonight) so called up O2 and as the previous reply said (thanks!) they offered me a new router FOC, with no more ties or contract extensions. Result, albeit a different one!
I have 2 x TG585V7 routers now, neither will be any use on O2 or Be but never mind! I will see if the new router sorts my issues, I cannot complain about O2 by the way, they have some bad press on here, but they've been brilliant, keeping costs down as I have a legacy package that costs les than £10 a month for unlimited downloads, and my postcode has some very poor speeds (<2MB) but I do get 2.5MB so it's the best of a bad situation, both neighbours have BT at less than 2MB. Infinity is in the area, but not as far as my street - just my luck!
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-May-12 13:27:11
Print Post

Did you reset the box to factory defaults after flashing the firmware?

Oliver.
Standard User JonasTone
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 14:47:47
Print Post

Hi

In my experience of being on o2. you simply need to call them and tell them that your current o2 box is getting old and they will send you a new (o2 box V i think) for free. Its supposed to be the best one they have provided so far, they will also send you a pre paid Jiffy envolope to return the old stuff.

They were always pretty damn good at that in mo opinion.

I could never get Be box to work correctly on o2 line, but i wasnt all that good with things like that when i was on o2.

Im now with Virgin Media and wish i wasnt
Standard User thommo41
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 18:57:22
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Yep!
  Print Thread

Jump to