Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 07:28:48
Print Post

Sharing ADSL signal on ethernet modem

[link to this post]

Hi
i'll shortly be getting a separate ADSL2+ ethernet modem (Draytek 120) and router (Linksys EA4500) to use on my ADSL2+ line. The modem has only one RJ45 ethernet port. I have a Vodafone Sure signal box and AFAIK this only connects via PPoA so pretty sure it won't work if i connect it to the Linksys router (PPoE). Since the Suresignal will only work by connecting it directly to the Draytek, could i use a splitter such as this which will allow me to hook up the router AND suresignal at the same time to the Draytek? Or will i need a port switch such as this? If using a port switch won't the suresignal detect this as PPoE and not work? Also are there any 2 port switches around? (no need >2 ports)
Cheers smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 01-Jun-12 08:21:04
Print Post

Re: Sharing ADSL signal on ethernet modem

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

The Sure Signal is connected into the router - the connection is Ethernet. PPoA/PPoE has nothing do do with the SureSignal connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 01-Jun-12 08:24:16)

(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 08:47:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes i'm aware the Sure Signal connects via ethernet...but if the sure signal is connected to a router WITHOUT built-in modem then the router will usually be in PPoE mode. The Suresignal currently only works with routers which are in PPoA mode...ie modem/router combo or modem. Also most users on FTTC cannot get their sure signal working - again this is due to their router being in PPoE mode. Even Vodafone themselves acknlowedge that the Sure Signal does NOT work connected to routers in PPoE mode. Have a look here for more info:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/...

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 01-Jun-12 09:11:19
Print Post

That is a problem I have not come across - I have not heard of problems from any Sure Signal users I know.

As for the splitter or port switch - it may not work as there will not be a DHCP server to allocate the IP address and potentially no way to force it to.

M H C

Edited by MHC (Fri 01-Jun-12 09:13:22)

Standard User CSS1978
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 09:34:36
Print Post

If this Sure Signal device requires a global IP address as well as your router, what you could do if your isp supports users having block ip address's you can set the draytek to bridge mode connect it to a ethernet hub connect the sure signal and router to them configure each of them with the ip setting from the isp.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:19:17
Print Post

[re: CSS1978] [link to this post]

Sure Signal does NOT require a public IP address

It should work behind a NAT router, running PPPoA or PPPoE. The DHCP client in the SureSignal does seem to be less than perfect, it may also have issues with MTU sizes

I have a suresignal and it is so temperemental I gave up on it

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:31:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

It should work behind a NAT router, running PPPoA or PPPoE. The DHCP client in the SureSignal does seem to be less than perfect, it may also have issues with MTU sizes

The ones I have installed up in the wilds of Scotland work fine! The only niggle is the maximum of 6 handsets can be registered and it is a nuisance having to edit the list when someone arrives/leaves.

M H C

(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:45:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

I understand MTU size set in the router and at ISP level play a big part. Some very useful info here:
http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=34387.0

I think i'm probablly jumping the gun a bit, because it may work via PPPoE through the Linksys router depending what MTU is set in the router. So i'll probably go for the draytek modem and linksys router and see how the Sure Signal behaves.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jun-12 11:11:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I think i'm probablly jumping the gun a bit, because it may work via PPPoE through the Linksys router depending what MTU is set in the router. So i'll probably go for the draytek modem and linksys router and see how the Sure Signal behaves.

I would give it a go. The SureSignal makes an IPSec connection outbound - so if your router does any VPN work itself that might need to be switched off.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (due Mar 2011) at THFB PCP 5
(experienced) Mon 04-Jun-12 13:14:34
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Woo hoo! Looks like i was worrying over nothing! The Suresignal works fine via PPPoE through the Linksys router. I think this could be down to TalkTalk using a MTU of 1500 (used to be 1432) as people who have problems tend to have a MTU <1500 at isp level.

Performance wise, the Draytek 120 (v2) modem and Linksys E4500 dual band router is an excellent combo...i have now wifi throughout my whole garden and sync speed has increased by 2 meg on my talktalk LLU line smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 04-Jun-12 13:16:47)

Print Thread

Jump to