Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User magosa
(regular) Sun 10-Jun-12 17:34:17
Print Post

DG834G - two SSIDs and a DNS

[link to this post]

Router virgin here so please be gentle! Two router connected questions......

Q1
I have DG834G v4 and until recently all has been well.

Started getting loads of internet disconencts and it would not reconnect unless I unplugged DSL cable and reinserted it.

ISP has been helpful - we have done line noise checks etc and the suggestion was to borrow a router and see if the problem continued - failing which it might be more likely to be a line problem worthy of BT's attention. (SNR does vary according to a monitoring program I have - occasionally wildly - but alternative router suggestion was made to reduce likelihood of a BT charge if it needs to be escalated.)

Bought a second hand router (same model and software version) to see if problem was replicated.

In setting up alternative router I have been able to enter all my desired settings etc but I noticed that it seemed to be broadcasting my SSID and another one which appeared to be already set up.

So.....am I imagining this? Is it possible for a router to broadcast two SSIDs at the same time and if so, how do I stop it?

Q2
On the original DG834G I often get "cannot find the server" messages for websites. Router is set to auto "get from ISP" for DNS. If I change the DNS settings to open source settings - bingo! I connect. If I then immediately change back to "get from ISP" all is well again.

Any suggestions?

-----------------------------
Main reason for asking in here is that I would like to know if I am missing something screamingly obvious before I lay my router soul bare to the ISP.....

Ta in advance.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-12 17:47:09
Print Post

Re: DG834G - two SSIDs and a DNS

[re: magosa] [link to this post]

Hi smile

It is possible to have multiple wireless SSIDs but I didn't think the DG834 had that facility - could be wrong... Are you sure you aren't just seeing a neighbours SSID?

Re. Your DNS point.
It could be your ISP - it's worth saying who they are...
Or I wonder if it's just 'cos you happen to have lost your ADSL sync at the same time? You could try staying with OpenDNS if that's working for you.

I can recommend RouterStats for a free way to monitor your router if that's not what you are already using!

EDIT
I don't think you said it you have the same loss of connection/sync issues with your replacement router...?

Edited by b4dger (Sun 10-Jun-12 17:48:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jun-12 18:12:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by magosa:
So.....am I imagining this? Is it possible for a router to broadcast two SSIDs at the same time?
Yes, but not with this router.

ISP's DNS occasionally play up, so stay with the open one or mix & match 1 of each.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User magosa
(regular) Sun 10-Jun-12 18:28:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks to both for comments.

Should have been clearer - the second router had an SSID already present. It is this which is the second one being broadcast in addition to the SSID I set up - def not a neighbour.

I will try different combinations of DNS to see what happens. ISP is Zen.

Yes I am using Router Stats to see what is going on....sort of.

I have not left the new router connected for any length of time because I was/am rather wary of the the apparent second SSID so not sure of the disconnect issue with the "new" router.

I think I may have to chat with the Zen guys again.

Edited by magosa (Sun 10-Jun-12 18:32:01)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jun-12 09:08:08
Print Post

I take it the wireless settings page only shows the one SSID available/configured?

Searching TBB I see others talking about DG834N running multiple SSIDs and also the DGN2000 - perhaps your second-hand router is running a custom firmware?

It might be worth flashing it with the latest official Netgear f/w to see if the phantom SSID dissapears.

Standard User magosa
(regular) Mon 11-Jun-12 23:00:28
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Yes only one SSID shown as configured - the new one I inserted.

It shows latest firmware (same as for my old router which is up to date) but it may be a good idea to do what you suggest and just update it to see if the phantom disappears.
  Print Thread

Jump to