Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gazimoff
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 13:17:23
Print Post

Need a new ADSL2+ Router

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm looking for a new ADSL Modem and Router, after having numerous problems with my existing thompson router. Issues like DHCP not responding, DNS faults and wireless dropouts have made me decide it's time to replace the thing. I've also heard that I can get better speeds if I go for alternative kit.

Ideally I'm looking for a standard 4 port router with built-in ADSL2+ modem to use on O2's 20 meg service. Gigabit ethernet would be nice, as would 802.11 B, G and N.

I'd like it to be easy to set up and simple to configure and tweak. But above all, I'd like it to provide rock solid stability without being rebooted constantly

So, any suggestions? I've about £100 to spend, but I can be flexible. Any and all ideas are hugely appreciated!
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-12 13:29:09
Print Post

Re: Need a new ADSL2+ Router

[re: Gazimoff] [link to this post]

Billion 7800N is excellent.

Ticks all the boxes you have provided but a tad over the price.

It is getting on a bit these days, it has Gigabit switch but only 100BaseT WAN port which can be a limitation if you want to use it on FTTC and your line can support 80Mb/s downspeed. Max routed throughput seems to be around 60Mb/s frown

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 14-Jun-12 14:07:50
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Max routed throughput seems to be around 60Mb/s frown
That's rapidly gaining the status of an urban myth... it's only true if the processor is having to handle QoS as well as everything else, which I'd guess most users won't bother with.

I usually get speedtests like this (~70Mbps profile), and others manage much more than that, see the speedtest this user gets.

edit- ignore strike-out part, duff search.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Thu 14-Jun-12 16:29:42)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-12 14:52:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Max routed throughput seems to be around 60Mb/s frown
That's rapidly gaining the status of an urban myth... it's only true if the processor is having to handle QoS as well as everything else, which I'd guess most users won't bother with.

I usually get speedtests like this (~70Mbps profile), and others manage much more than that, see the speedtest this user gets.

It was what Billion support got on their testing reported in their forum!

They reckoned that 60Mb/s or so was a hardware limitation and they would need to "look at this" for future versions.

Using QoS was limiting throughput to 30Mb/s or so.

Since I hope to use my 7800N on FTTC "soon" with an full speed connection I will be very, very happy to be proved wrong!

BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 14-Jun-12 16:09:22
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

It was what Billion support got on their testing reported in their forum!
Really? This is the latest testing I see.

Looks pretty comprehensive to me... Reading the entire thread, I'd agree that some people are having speed problems*, but the test results I linked to would indicate that it isn't the router that's causing them.

As does my own "real life" speed test... ignore the other one I linked to, it was the result a duff search blush

* Including Billion support by the sound of it crazy

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Thu 14-Jun-12 17:03:31)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 14-Jun-12 17:01:21
Print Post

Just to demonstrate that my speed test wasn't a one-off, you can see the history since I first got FTTC here:

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=14b9d5b2ecf7...

The first month or so at 40Mbps was with a router other than the Billion, from there it's all Billion with firmware versions from 1.06c to 1.06e. (It's not giving me any problems so I haven't bothered with "f" or "g")

Bill
Standard User Gazimoff
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 20:30:05
Print Post

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I've ordered the Billion from Amazon, so it should be here tomorrow. I'll keep you updated with how I get on. Meantime, if you've got any tips for how to get the best out of it, I'd be hugely grateful!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:23:52
Print Post

[re: Gazimoff] [link to this post]

Tbh I'm not sure I can help a great deal- mine has only been used on FTTC, and iirc all I had to do was connect it up, go to 192.168.1.254 in my browser, select the EWAN port on the "Quick Start" menu, enter the username and password for my ISP and the basic details for the wireless LAN and away it went.

So the ADSL section is "here be monsters" territory as far as I'm concerned tongue.

I think there's a start-up wizard that runs if you connect using Internet Explorer, but as I use a Mac I can't comment on that.

Port forwarding, tweaks to get IPv6 working the way I wanted etc etc came later...

It's possible to tweak the SNR margin on ADSL for extra speed if your line is stable enough- there's a post in this forum about it somewhere but I can't find it frown.

If you want to get the most out of it, or have any difficulty with setting something up, joining the Billion user forum would be my best advice, though there are some very knowledgeable users here too.

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:36:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
It's possible to tweak the SNR margin on ADSL for extra speed if your line is stable enough- there's a post in this forum about it somewhere but I can't find it frown.
Ah, found it smile

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4097623...

Bill
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:48:50
Print Post

So Billion started a new thread rather than updating the original one?

Sounds great though so I will stop worrying!

Thanks smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to