Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Babylon5
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 00:43:12
Print Post

Billion BiPAC 7800N Firmware

[link to this post]

I have one of these currently running 1.06e. I notice that the Billion UK website has 1.06f and 1.06g available.

Anyone running these newer firmware versions? Are there any notable improvements in them over 1.06e?

Mike
--
ZeN 8000 Active | Billion BiPAC 7800N Router
My Broadband Speed Test
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that it has never tried to contact us"
smile
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 18-Jun-12 09:05:27
Print Post

Re: Billion BiPAC 7800N Firmware

[re: Babylon5] [link to this post]

I have 1.06f and it works fine. I never used 1.06e as 1.06f was the standard release when I bought the device.

Allegedly 1.06g gives improvements in WiFi and I believe this is the formal release that supports the SKY authentication on ADSL - I think the SKY authentaction issue on FTTC is in development / beta.

It is really annoying that they expect us the reset to manufacturers defaults and input all the configuration details again - this is the only router I have ever had that requires this frown

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 18-Jun-12 09:14:01
Print Post

[re: Babylon5] [link to this post]

I'm using 1.06e, it hasn't caused me any problems so I haven't bothered with "f" or "g"- if it ain't broke, don't fix it tongue.

1.06g seems to have one or two quirks, have a look on the Billion user forum.

edit- I'm using it as router-only on an FTTC connection, if there have been any improvements to the modem functions I wouldn't know about them.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Mon 18-Jun-12 09:19:41)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eric_the_viking
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 12:20:39
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I've gone to "G" purely because I usually upgrade to the latest drivers & f/w for eveything anyway. No difference in performance for me; but I'm not with Sky.
The current upgrade instructions at http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowle... say to use the current configuration instead of doing a factory reset, and that worked ok.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 18-Jun-12 12:38:18
Print Post

[re: eric_the_viking] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eric_the_viking:
I've gone to "G" purely because I usually upgrade to the latest drivers & f/w for eveything anyway. No difference in performance for me; but I'm not with Sky.
The current upgrade instructions at http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowle... say to use the current configuration instead of doing a factory reset, and that worked ok.

The instructions PDF say to reset to defaults if told to by Billion. Both 1.06f and 1.06g say:-

You must reset back to factory default settings after the firmware upgrade, this is to ensure all changes within the firmware are implemeneted correctly. Do not restore settings from previous firmware builds

The "improved Wireless" is in 1.06g is described in the release notes as:-

Change the 7800N WLAN driver to solve the WDS between 7800N and 7800NL

So I think I may stay on 1.06f for the present!

BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User eric_the_viking
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 12:51:50
Print Post

Quote from the latest instructions linked to in my post:-
"12) For “Restart the router with”, select “Current settings” if you have already configure
your router. If you select “Factory Default Settings” all existing settings on the router will be
lost e.g. you ADSL user login details, wireless settings… etc. There are occasions that a
factory reset is recommended but generally reset with current settings should be sufficient."
... and it was!
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 18-Jun-12 12:55:34
Print Post

Presumably it is the difference between "what does work" and "what the say will work"!

I do intend to at least try retaining the settings, it "shouldnt" break anything that a complete reset wont fix tongue

Standard User pc1962
(newbie) Sat 23-Jun-12 16:35:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Presumably it is the difference between "what does work" and "what the say will work"!

I do intend to at least try retaining the settings, it "shouldnt" break anything that a complete reset wont fix tongue

Upgrading to 1.06g from 1.06d broke my beloved router. Wifi dropouts all the time whereas before it was rock solid. Ive even reverted back to 1.06e to no avail...gutted frown
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sat 23-Jun-12 19:04:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by eric_the_viking:
There are occasions that a
factory reset is recommended but generally reset with current settings should be sufficient."
... and it was!

That's what I thought... and did... then a month later went away for 2 weeks and the ADSL connection failed whilst I was away, couldn't recover it after given my wife instructions over the phone, got home, couldn't fix it until I restarted the router with factory settings.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 23-Jun-12 20:16:28
Print Post

Its asking for trouble with Billion routers. I always revert to factory settings and have never had any problems with 7402GXL or 7800N . The 1.06g firmware is fine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to