Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snowwolf
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-12 19:52:50
Print Post

Draytek Vigor 2850n vs Billion 7800n vs seperates

[link to this post]

Hi

I currently have a Draytek Vigor 2800G that is probably around 5 years old now and it is starting to have some problems - potential throughput issues (but I don't have another modem to confirm) plus it can't hold a stable wifi connection with a Macbook Air (even running the latest firmware which was supposed to resolve the issue).

I was thinking of replacing it anyway because I want Wireless N and Gigabit Lan, but was waiting for FTTC and was then going to upgrade to a VDSL router. However my FTTC cabinet upgrade keeps getting pushed out and I don't know how much longer I will have to wait so think I am going to have to just bite the bullet and upgrade my router now.

So my question is, which router should I get? I still need ADSL2 support for now (but it could only be for a few months only) so should future proof and have VDSL support too as hopefully I will get it one day. The most recommended router that meets those requirements seems to be the Billion 7800n but I've been very happy with my Draytek, had 5 good years of flawless/stable/fast service out of it up to now, and some of the features I do use from it don't appear to be implemented or well implemented on the the Billion (e.g. IP binding), so would consider one again in which case the 2850n seems to meet my requirements. The 2850n doesn't appear to be recommended much on here though. I this purely because of cost? The Billion also seems to be recommended because it is good with long lines, but I have a relatively short line so that is less of an issue for me. Is there another combo router I should be looking at?

The other alternative is to get a separate router and adsl2 modem and then just swap out the adsl2 modem for the openreach one when/if I do eventually get FTTC. Any recommendations on what combo to go for in that case? Is that a better option then going for a combined adsl2/vdsl/router?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jul-12 23:48:06
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigor 2850n vs Billion 7800n vs seperates

[re: snowwolf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by snowwolf:
The other alternative is to get a separate router and adsl2 modem and then just swap out the adsl2 modem for the openreach one when/if I do eventually get FTTC. Any recommendations on what combo to go for in that case? Is that a better option then going for a combined adsl2/vdsl/router?

Why not get the 2830 ? If you do get FTTC the rules are you are to keep the Openreach modem connected (some people do disconnect, but that's not offically allowed).

The 2830 has Ethernet (for FTTC, or cable) and ADSL2/2+ built in, and has all the other features you're used to, along with WiFi certified wireless (first seen in the 2820) which resolves the problems of the earlier Draytek models that were not certified (2600, 2800, 2900).

The 2830 has gigabit ethernet ports too.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User snowwolf
(newbie) Tue 17-Jul-12 20:12:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

How does the 2830n compare to other (cheaper?) standalone routers? I guess with separates I am wondering if there is a dedicated router that is better than the 2830n/2850n/7800n because it hasn't had to make sacrifices/tradeoffs to include a built in ADSL modem?

I also see the 2850n has dual band wifi which is nice. The 2830n+ has dual band but is then almost the same price as the 2850n.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jul-12 21:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by snowwolf:
How does the 2830n compare to other (cheaper?) standalone routers? I guess with separates I am wondering if there is a dedicated router that is better than the 2830n/2850n/7800n because it hasn't had to make sacrifices/tradeoffs to include a built in ADSL modem?

I'd ask what you're getting extra in two boxes as there is duplication that adds to cost if you have a separate ADSL modem such as the Vigor 120

I also see the 2850n has dual band wifi which is nice. The 2830n+ has dual band but is then almost the same price as the 2850n.

Sadly neither the 2850 or the 2830+ dual band are simultaneous dual band frown 2.4 GHz OR 5 GHz not both at the same time.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User Al1264
(regular) Tue 17-Jul-12 21:42:09
Print Post

What about AVM Fritz!Box 7390?
Expensive but 'does it all' (more or less).
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 18-Jul-12 07:11:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Sadly neither the 2850 or the 2830+ dual band are simultaneous dual band frown 2.4 GHz OR 5 GHz not both at the same time.

And this is one of the reasons why i went for a separate modem/router combo - Draytek 120 + Linksys EA4500. The Linksys is a simultaneous dual-band router whereas most (if not all) combined modem/routers are not. In our household all devices except 2 iphones are 5 Ghz compatible so really benefit from a 5 ghz router yet at the same time can connect to 2.4ghz devices.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
  Print Thread

Jump to