Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dieselglider
(experienced) Wed 18-Jul-12 17:34:39
Print Post

Buffalo WHR-G300Nv2 Auto-connect issue

[link to this post]

I've had the WHR-G300Nv2 for a few weeks, and like it for its small size and wireless 'N' download speeds to my new laptop.

However, it does have a niggly glitch in that it won't auto-connect on boot-up. Or rather, the diagnostic PPPoE logs show that it has acquired internet access, with the relevant ip addresses, and the built-in 'Check Connection' passes all three checks (Cabling, PPPoE, Name Resolution), but times out on the final image load.

To get internet access, I have to login to the GUI, press the Stop (internet) button, and then Start, and all is ok.

I wouldn't mind, but it's a bit much expecting the missus to remember how, and what to do.

My connection is with BT Infinity, using the Buffalo Easy Setup, and the bthomehub@btbroadband logon username, with no password. Never had this problem with the Homehub, or Netgear WNR1000.

Any other settings I may need to change?

ps firmware is upgraded to 1.85, from the factory installed 1.82.

BTInfinity
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jul-12 15:11:37
Print Post

Re: Buffalo WHR-G300Nv2 Auto-connect issue

[re: dieselglider] [link to this post]

I'm on 1.82 and not had any problem of this kind. I'm just trying to remember what happens after the Name Resolution OK bit, as that is when the ISP (BT) has accepted your login and should have started the session. I can't remember what the "Final Image Load" is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(experienced) Thu 19-Jul-12 18:00:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I re-installed 1.82, but the result was the same, so went back to 1.85. The small window image at connection test completion, seems to to connect to Buffalo website, showing a part view of the Earth and states, "The AirStation's connection to the internet has completed successfully.".

Anyway, I seem to have found a simple work-a-round, by re-booting the BT modem, while leaving the router powered up.

BTInfinity

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jul-12 21:09:13
Print Post

I'll have a play tomorrow if I remember.

I think you are talking about powering off the router, perhaps at night, then on again in the morning? With the modem on all the time?

Or are you having to run the Easy-setup connection wizard all the time then do the GUI bit?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 19-Jul-12 21:09:32)

(experienced) Thu 19-Jul-12 21:47:42
Print Post

No, it's just that we've had a couple of power cuts lately, due to works, and also a precautionary power down due to lightning nearby. Then on powering up the modem, then after it syncs powering up the router, there's no traffic throughput on the internet side. Re-booting the router again has no effect regarding getting internet access.

If I then login to the router interface, and 'stop' the connection and then 'start' the connection again, I regain internet access.

Experimenting today, looking for an easy fix for her indoors, I discovered that re-booting the BT modem alone gave me back internet access. I tried it a couple of times, and it worked both.

Be interesting if simply re-booting your router auto-connects, giving internet access.

BTInfinity
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jul-12 11:43:05
Print Post

Just had a thought.

Quite a few routers do strange things after a firmware upload, until you do a factory reset. It's worth a try.

(experienced) Fri 19-Oct-12 22:56:40
Print Post

Just got round to looking at this issue again, and seem to have found a cure by seting the Router Mode switch to on, rather than Auto. This changed the layout of the Internet/LAN - Internet tab, giving the option of Method of Acquiring IP Address. I then selected Use PPPoE Client, and the router has obtained internet access on both reboots I have since tried.

In theory, I suppose it should work with the switch set to Auto, but just doesn't, at least on mine.

BTInfinity
  Print Thread

Jump to