Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User drkdeath5000
(newbie) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:55:01
Print Post

DrayTek Vigor 120 + Netgear WNR2200

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I purchased a vigor 120 and a netgear wnr 2200 off ebay last week. The plan was to replace my thomson speedtouch router with these in hope to get a better connection speed and setup but so far its not going so well.

To begin with i have the vigor 120 plugged into a adsl filter which is connected to my master socket and the wnr 2200 is then connected to the vigor 120 by ethernet. This is all correct as far as i can tell, i can access the wnr admin by ip as expected so no problems here.

The problem is i cant get an internet connection through either, the netgear refuses to see my internet. I've tried disconnecting the netgear and trying to establish a connection with just the vigor but i couldnt get that to work either. Presumably its not supposed to as its a modem and doesnt store any usernames / passwords to my knowledge.

I've tried various settings in the vigor backend but i dont really know what im doing in there. My ISP is AOL (UK) which was supposedly taken over by talktalk and im on an old ADSL (G.DMT) line. I've always input my settings as PPOE so im presuming this is still correct for the vigor. I did try some settings found for bebroadband but those didnt work either.

I'm not quite sure what to do now, is the vigor / netgear even compatible with my isp ? Do i just have the wrong settings ? I'm so confused :-/.

Thanks for any input.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 25-Jul-12 20:34:44
Print Post

Re: DrayTek Vigor 120 + Netgear WNR2200

[re: drkdeath5000] [link to this post]

I'm using a Draytek 120 (v2) + Linksys EA4500 router on my Talktalk LLU line and have no problems. Yes the Draytek connects via PPPoE if you hook it up directly to your pc. Have you tried doing a hard reset on the draytek? What happens when you go to 192.168.2.1 in your browser immediately after putting in the login details on your pc? (username: admin pw: admin) Which lights on the modem come on?

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 25-Jul-12 20:35:55)

(newbie) Wed 25-Jul-12 22:45:04
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the draytek connected directly to the pc today so im half way there. When i plug the draytek into the pc and dial the connection i get all lights but INTERNET. ACT, LAN, and DSL are all lit and flashing as expected to show data passing through but INTERNET isnt lit. I can confirm internet is working directly as web pages are loading. Could just be that the led light is gone so nothing majorly important.As for the netgear I've yet to get it to see the draytek, it just cant find the connection for some reason. Did you have to do anything on the linksys to get it to see the draytek ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 25-Jul-12 23:13:47
Print Post

if you can access the internet on your pc then i wouldn't worry too much about the leds on the modem. On the Netgear router, first do a hard reset (since it may already have previous user's settings) and then simply enter your isp username/password and connect via PPPoE to the modem. Thats all you need to do smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(newbie) Thu 26-Jul-12 01:15:30
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Struggled with this all night but the netgear wouldnt detect the internet or the vigor. Just as i was about to give up it sprung to life and im now some what puzzled :-?. I havent done anything different to what i've been doing tonight or the last couple days for that matter, it just simply started working. Quick reboot and its still operating so i just have no idea whats happened. Will check it again in the morning and post back. Hopefully its here to stay now.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jul-12 04:43:51
Print Post

Why do you need 2 devices, which I presume are a modem & a router? Get your self a modem/router, like the Netgear DGN1000 or DGN3500, and save yourself all this trouble, After all you are only on ADSL Max.
In reply to a post by drkdeath5000:
My ISP is AOL (UK) which was supposedly taken over by talktalk and im on an old ADSL (G.DMT) line.
AOL Broadband, not AOL (UK), is owned by TT but manages their own BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(newbie) Thu 26-Jul-12 17:04:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I already have a dozen modem/routers and whilst the connection itself works fine on these i always find some sort of bug or limitation which prevents me from using them.

For instance if memory serves correct the dg834gt v3 only allows you to open incoming tcp ports, my voyager 2091 is limited to only a dozen ports and then theres my thompson which i cant remember the model number of but it refuses to save any rules at all. I have a couple more which i cant remember the specific problems only that its something to do with port forwarding one of those is a dgn1000 aswell.

So in short the reason i've gone to all this trouble is that im sick to the teeth of router/modem combos not doing what they should. I'm sure there are some decent modem/router combos out there but so far i havent come across one and i've bought my fair share of them.

The wnr2200 is holding up so far, best connection i've had in a long time next to the voyager. I dont know why it wouldnt connect before but its working perfectly now. I've only forwarded a dozen ports so far and again they seem to be working as they should but theres still alot to add so we'll see how it goes.
  Print Thread

Jump to