Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(member) Fri 27-Jul-12 15:03:54
Print Post

What does this mean?

[link to this post]

I don't usually look at the sytem log that often (Billion 7800n) but just did and saw a few entries I hadn't seen before (first few):

Jul 27 08:52:58 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCPDISCOVER from Jul 27 08:52:59 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCP offer to
Jul 27 08:53:00 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCP request from
Jul 27 08:53:00 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCP ack to
Jul 27 09:27:03 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCP request from
Jul 27 09:27:03 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCP ack to

Just wonder if it's something to do with wireless - wireless was enabled a few weeks ago for our son to use on his phone when he visits (I use it wired), but no-one was here at that time and the computer was switched off.

Edited by TrishaH (Fri 27-Jul-12 17:26:49)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 27-Jul-12 16:36:24
Print Post

Re: What does this mean?

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

You need to find out which devices have MAC addresses xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx & xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Different network cards have different ways to find it - but those numbers are unique.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 27-Jul-12 17:36:09)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 27-Jul-12 16:47:58
Print Post

According to this site the first device (deleted) is made by Apple and the second (deleted) is from Asus.

Mean anything, maybe an iPhone and a netbook?

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Fri 27-Jul-12 18:06:51)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrishaH
(member) Fri 27-Jul-12 16:52:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I found a site that gives some info - http://hwaddress.com/?q=Apple+Inc

Company Apple Inc
Prefix C0:
Address space
Address
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino CA 95014
United States

Company ASUSTek COMPUTER INC.
Prefix 48
Address space
Address
15,Li-Te Rd.,Peitou,
Taipei 112
Taiwan, Republic Of China

Did someone try to use my wireless - and was it denied? I've never used the wireless part before, so know very little about it.

Edited by TrishaH (Fri 27-Jul-12 17:27:50)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jul-12 16:55:57
Print Post

They appear to be computers obtaining IP addresses from your router. They could be wired or wireless.

Information about what specific DHCP messages signify can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958940....

One thing that is worth checking is that the router clock is actually telling the right date and time. It may be way off.

If you are sure these devices are nothing to do with you make sure the router isn't using a defualt admin password, change the encryption key and consider MAC address filtering on the wireless network as described at http://billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgeb...

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Fri 27-Jul-12 17:34:09)

Standard User TrishaH
(member) Fri 27-Jul-12 16:57:52
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks Bill - Wasn't sure if that info was relevant when I found it. Son has an iphone but I'd thought he was nowhere near at that time - he arrived around 10am, but I just had a thought ..the time on the Billion seems to be an hour behind (I had a disconnect an hour ago, and it was shown as 2.50pm instead of 3.50pm.

Would it be that as soon as his phone was in range, it picked up the connection ? - he's the only person apart from me that has the password.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 27-Jul-12 16:58:44
Print Post

So, one is an Apple device, Ipad, Iphone &c and the other an ASUS PC or tablet.

What PCs and phones do you have? It is the actual device that matter not the company that is allocated the range.

M H C

Standard User TrishaH
(member) Fri 27-Jul-12 17:05:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I have a desktop computer (Chillblast with Asus motherboard), and no mobile switched on (only use it if I go out) - son has an iphone.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jul-12 17:11:20
Print Post

The Asus motherboard would account for the Asus entry in the logs and your son's iPhone the other.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 27-Jul-12 17:13:36
Print Post

So, when you speak to your son, ask him for his MAC:

Start at the home menu. Select Settings -> General -> About. Scroll down that screen and you’ll see a setting called “Wi-Fi Address”, that is your iPhone MAC address.

It should be te same as te one you are seeing and that will put your mind at rest.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to