Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_magicfingers
(newbie) Sun 05-Aug-12 23:06:58
Print Post

Which modem could I use to replace a BT homehub 3?

[link to this post]

I've just moved house and have broadband through BT, just adsl and only at 1.9Mbs so far frown

They supplied a homehub 3, version A and yesterday when I set it up I discovered that basically port forwarding doesn't work.

I have an apple airport extreme which I'd like to use as my router and need a modem that I can plug my airport into, so that I can then use the airport for all other configuration.

Could someone suggest a modem that would be suitable please. I had considered this one which seems like it should work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-ADSL-BROADBAND-M...
but though I'd check here. If not, what else would be worth getting.

Thanks

Justin.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Aug-12 23:17:50
Print Post

Re: Which modem could I use to replace a BT homehub 3?

[re: mr_magicfingers] [link to this post]

That ebay link is to a one port router, so it wouldn't help.

Look at the Draytek Vigor 120 which is purely an ADSL modem.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 06-Aug-12 00:05:37
Print Post

[re: mr_magicfingers] [link to this post]

The BT Voyager 190 is one of the finest, most under-rated ADSL2+ modems out there.
Initially supplied for AOL use, it works well on any BT Wholesale provisioned service.

Be aware, that there are absolutely no User settings available in the limited (but useful) GUI.
As long as your ISP supports PPPoE and uses VPI=0 & VCI=38, you'll have no problems.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 06-Aug-12 00:27:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
It looks like an ADSL modem to me...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Aug-12 07:52:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It looks like an ADSL modem to me...

Ok, it looks like the Voyager I have (which doesn't have a bridge mode) - my bad.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 06-Aug-12 11:43:17
Print Post

So do you think it's the same as yours or is an actual modem?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Aug-12 11:56:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
So do you think it's the same as yours or is an actual modem?

If its a 190 then its a modem smile

As long as its not locked to AOL it should suit the original poster's requirements.

Edited by jchamier (Mon 06-Aug-12 11:57:06)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 06-Aug-12 11:59:51
Print Post

Bargain at £8.50 then.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Aug-12 12:44:29
Print Post

If its a 190 then its a modem smile

But then having read this page: http://freeola.com/support/connections-adsl-voyager-...

... it describes PPPoA user/pass, DHCP and LAN settings, which would be functions of a router.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 06-Aug-12 12:45:26)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 06-Aug-12 15:03:48
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
But then having read this page: http://freeola.com/support/connections-adsl-voyager-...

... it describes PPPoA user/pass, DHCP and LAN settings, which would be functions of a router.

Sadly, that page is absolutely incorrect - THERE ARE NO END USER SETTINGS available in the GUI, (which is available @ 192.168.0.1).
The GUI allows you to check the line stats, check the connection status or upload new firmware.
THERE ARE NO END USER settings for VCI or VPI. If there was, I'd probably still be using an unmodified BT Voyager 190 with my O2 service. Prior to switching my ASDL service to O2, I used a BT Voyager 190 with Plusnet.

Another Myth: The modem is NOT LOCKED to AOL, but the GUI does have AOL branding.

The modem is locked in a similar fashion to the Huawei HG612 - it's the ADSL equivalent - the forerunner to the HG612.

Whilst other ISPs were offering UnSuitable for Broadband products, AOL were ahead of the competition, offering a no nonsense, driver free, OS independent solution - the BT Voyager 190! Unfortunately, their service wasn't to everyones' taste.

I would have been interested to see what lay behind the impenetrable GUI, but the only hack that I found (out in the wild) loads another vendors firmware onto the modem, thus changing it from 'modem only' functionality to 'router' functionality - it can still be configured as a modem.

A Project for the mighty AsboKid perhaps?

On further thought, the OP could buy a HG612, flash the unlocked firmware onto it (Thanks AsboKid!) and use it as an ADSL modem.
I've used an unlocked HG612 with my O2 service (...patiently waiting for FTTC). Caveat: it doesn't do Annex M.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to