Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Aug-12 12:46:02
Print Post

Is this a symptom of a failing power router supply

[link to this post]

Occasionally my DG834G v4 router reboots including overnight when nothing is really accessing it.
I have also noticed that where there is a very short drop in the power system (less that a couple of seconds) the only things which are apparently affected are the router and my Crucial powered speakers (they beep).
Would a new power supply fix this or is it just that the router is more sensitive to a voltage dip.
The alternative to a new power supply is a cheap UPS but at £50 plus that is a bit of overkill given that the only thing I need to do is to resync with my modified noise margin to get back where I was - on 21CN the IP profile bounces back immediately
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 06-Aug-12 13:07:36
Print Post

Re: Is this a symptom of a failing power router supply

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Probably not a symptom of a failing power supply, but a symptom of a badly designed or specified power supply.

You mention a couple of seconds drop out of the mains but that is a long time - most are just a fraction of a second and supply routing or transformer taps changeover and a lot of PSUs will cope with that. However, cutting a few pence here and there means that they designers cut out a couple of capacitors in the PSU - in the raw rectified DC and output stages which will reduce the hold up time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Aug-12 13:18:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I said a couple of secs because I had no idea as to how long but your explanation makes sense given the cheap and nasty design of most power supplies
I assume that a replacement from DigiDave would have the same problem given the fact that it looks identical. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834G-Router-replac...
I know that Netgear switched to a better switched design http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=76040.0 but I can't find anywhere to buy them

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 06-Aug-12 13:19:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Aug-12 19:33:18
Print Post

dg834 do tire to the point where they become non responsive for a few seconds at a time

SOTV KRO BCFC smile
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 19:55:18
Print Post

A 2 second drop out is crazy. You should be getting at most a little dip of the lights, which should last 0.1 or so seconds. Anything as long as 2 seconds should be considered as an electrical problem.

I've had a DG834g router before for around 2 years. I very often had several months of uptime without a single reboot required or occuring... I would say the PSU might be faulty but if the powers actually dipping for 2 full seconds you should be trying to get that resolved.

If the dips are only really quick 0.1 second or so ones, usually so quick you just think you've blinked then get a new PSU as mine definitely never did this.

Or even better get a nice N router.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 07-Aug-12 19:55:54)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Aug-12 20:07:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I did wonder about a new router but I don't need Wireless n as the only time wireless gets used is when the children arrive with iPads and iPhones as all the computers are wired to the router
I rather like the Netgear because it syncs at a very good speed and I can fiddle with the default noise margin - 5dB works very well
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 00:20:08
Print Post

Fairs

It shouldn't be rebooting though

I would say faulty PSU but it could even be the router. I wouldn't risk paying for a new PSU I would just replace the whole lot.

You can get plenty of routers on eBay for under a tenner with customisable SNR etc smile
  Print Thread

Jump to