Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dabooka
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 10:22:08
Print Post

Modem suggestions for poor connection (dropping)

[link to this post]

Hello all, I wish to tap the collective!

I have a particularly poor connection with our ADSL and it constantly drops out, sometimes for days at a time. Normally we have a ~2mb connection using a Thomson router, TG585 v7, which was bundled when we first moved in and subscribed to Tiscali (no choice in this). I now wish to upgrade and replace the hardware to try and improve the connection we have, and wonder what modem if any would be preferable for my situation.

Some things I guess you need to know;

I have been given a new and unused Belkin n750 as a router, but no ADSL modem, so don't need a router..
I am about 3 miles from the exchange by Google maps (the exchange mapper on Sam Knows does not accept my address)
I have replaced my house wiring and installed the NTE5 faceplate directly to the router, with no additional extensions anywhere.

As you know TalkTalk have shockingly poor support, and now we are able to finally leave the tw@ts I also intend to switch provider soon. They have been no help at all despite acknowledging there is probably a fault somewhere!

I've seen plenty of modems out there, from the likes of Vigor and T-Link, all of which get good reviews, but I need one that will hold onto a weak connection.

I'm sure you need more info, so please let me know what I've omitted.

Cheers,

Dabooka
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 10:29:50
Print Post

Re: Modem suggestions for poor connection (dropping)

[re: Dabooka] [link to this post]

Draytek Vigor 120. Excellent ADSL2+ modem uses the latest Infineon chipset & piece of cake to configure. Have a look at the reviews smile
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-120-external-E...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Dabooka
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 10:50:05
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks Frogmella, I saw those yesterday but there's no mention in the reviews about being "good" with weak signals so thought I'd check first as it's specifically that attribute I'm after.

Based on the reviews it's certainly in the top three to purchase (plus I have a £10 Amazon voucher to use!).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:06:53
Print Post

In that case just buy it from Amazon and if it turns out to be pants send it back to Amazon for a full refund. Couldn't be easier smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Dabooka
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:20:45
Print Post

Very true, but my nature leads to me to try and learn from the experiences of others!

It's also dawned on me I have an ancient SMC Barricade modem from my first ADSL connection. Has a usb and 1 ethernet port, I'm sure it topped out a 2mb (as I say it is probably from about 2004 or earleir!). I wonder if that'd be worth digging out.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:24:34
Print Post

Let's see some stats from the 585.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Aug-12 11:25:24
Print Post

usually routers based on broadcom or infineon chipsets handle poor lines better. i've had a range of routers on my adsl2+ line: netgear dgn1000, dlink 2640, tp-link 8960n and draytek 2820n. tp-link is based on broadcom (unlike the new tp-link 8968 which is based on trend) and it handles the connection well: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8960N-300MBPS-Wi... The supposedly newer model tp-link 8961 is not that grate and certainly not the successor. As regards draytek, it copes with my line very well, too, but it's pricy, even though i got mines on gumtree for 50 quid. overall, i recommend both tp-link 8960n and draytek 2820n.
Standard User Dabooka
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:27:44
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

What sort of things are you after? I'll have to post them later when at home, but will do it asap
Standard User Dabooka
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:31:06
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks anon,

So would you suggest just using the TP-Link for the modem and disabling the router element, or just use it over the Belkin?

Cheers,
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Aug-12 11:32:09
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

unfortunately, i don't know what chipset tp-link 8961 is based on. but go for a broadcom or infineon chipset based router.

do a google search for other broadcom based routers. there's plenty. as regards infineon, i think it's only draytek that use them.

don;'t know what more experienced users will say, but also maybe checking your dslam chipset and matching it with one in the router might help. for example, my exchange uses infineon, and although tp-link 8960n handled it well, i'm now using the draytek (although not long enough to comment).

stay clear of buffalo. they've gone down hill big time with their routers. plus, there's no support whatsoever.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to