Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User m_mike
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 23:18:34
Print Post

Suggested router for vpn

[link to this post]

Can someone suggest a good router that I can use on my BT infinity connection that will allow me to use my home broadband connetion via vpn. I will mainly be using an ipad and want to secure my internet traffic on public wifi as much as possible.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Aug-12 09:26:59
Print Post

Re: Suggested router for vpn

[re: m_mike] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how a new router on BT Infinity will help secure an iPad on public wifi?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Aug-12 13:54:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

If its a Draytek (for example) with Dynamic DNS configured, then the iPad can open a PPTP or IPsec VPN to the router from the public WiFi and that will encrypt the connection over the public WiFi.

I do the same, but I have a hosted server, rather than using my home broadband. smile

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Aug-12 14:02:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Ah, I see. So he wants a router that can act as a VPN endpoint, or passthrough to a VPN server on his network.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Aug-12 14:31:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Ah, I see. So he wants a router that can act as a VPN endpoint, or passthrough to a VPN server on his network.

I would assume the former; as its cheaper to operate smile Some of the Netgear kit can have one VPN connection at a time, the more expensive drayteks can do 10 or more.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Aug-12 00:47:13
Print Post

[re: m_mike] [link to this post]

You may not need a VPN router. If you are running a Mac or Linux computer on your home network or are happy to tweak a Windows PC you are most of the way there if you set up SSH tunneling

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to