Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 09:35:59
Print Post

Laptop won't connect

[link to this post]

My Dell won't connect to any wifi networks this morning, nor will it make a connection to the BT Hub3 by Ethernet. I have a built in Intel N adapter, which I tried all the usual steps with before disabling it and trying a BT N wifi dongle; no connection there either. The Hub is connected with an excellent signal but the laptop won't recognise it. All my other computers connect as usual so it's not a router or Infinity question. So I disabled my firewall and set IE9 to the lowest security setting - nada.
This is definitely an isolated problem on the computer and not the network. Just wondering what else I can try. The only thing I can think of is a System Recovery to yesterday, when everything was fine. Strangely, IPconfig reports all the correct addresses at ethernet and wireless, even though there's no connection.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 09:52:49
Print Post

Re: Laptop won't connect

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Hi,

Does your laptop have McAfee Antivirus installed by any chance?
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:05:58
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

Yes! But I disabled the firewall and tested that aspect.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:07:49
Print Post

Hi, there was a problem with the McAfee updates last week - I suggest completely uninstalling McAfee, restart the system and you should have Internet access back - then you can download it and reinstall it...

Nice way to spend Saturday morning, thanks McAfee!

Edited by TechGuyUK (Sat 25-Aug-12 10:09:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:56:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by TechGuyUK:
I suggest completely uninstalling McAfee ....
Can you do that without the downloadable "Uninstall" tool from McAfee?

Dreadful IS anyway. Server-side ones seem to be good, PC ones far from it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 11:00:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi, I don't know exactly what the OP has installed - but the general info about the problem suggests a simple uninstall will retore the Internet connection and you can go from there..
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 11:26:33
Print Post

I wouldn't re-install it - much better to install Comodo IS http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php IMO smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Aug-12 11:29:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by TechGuyUK:
Hi, there was a problem with the McAfee updates last week - I suggest completely uninstalling McAfee, restart the system and you should have Internet access back - then you can download it and reinstall it...

Nice way to spend Saturday morning, thanks McAfee!
Is this problem documented?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 12:21:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yes, it's mentioned a lot if you Google McAfee+loss of networking or similar. Use the date filter for last month/week, as there are many items about this company's dodgy updates in the past. There's an article on their website too with complicated instructions about how to get out of it. Dell have also published a warning. So I'm paying nearly £50 a year to have my computer screwed - back to Norton, I suppose. (Now waiting for 50+ negative posts about the latter, but it works well on one of my oldest lappies; no hassles in 6 years, but it is very resource hungry).

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Aug-12 12:36:18
Print Post

I use MSE and Windows firewall because it's free. I have my network behind a router firewall and I don't have any hassles either.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to