Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 27-Aug-12 14:41:03
Print Post

Fastest connection for Bridge mode

[link to this post]

So the ongoing routing issues with Be* have prompted me to start shopping around; there are a few other ISPs around with a similar price but whose routing tables don't regularly die for days on end!

I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700 running Gargoyle firmware handling the firewall, routing and wifi for me. It has an ethernet WAN port. Currently the Be*box is in bridge/modem mode so it's purely handling the ADSL connection.

If I move, I'll need to send the Bebox back. The only other ADSL modem that I've got is a Netgear DG834v2 (which has the TI-AR7 chipset).

I'm not yet sure who to move to; looking at a Be* wholesale operator -to keep the same speed and unlimited nature but crucially to use their routing instead. Might move to a 21cn operator too; not sure what's best for that.

So - what would be the best choice for me? I just need modem mode, so if the wifi range is bleak or the firewall is feeble then that doesn't concern me at all. Of course, since it is only a modem, then naturally it needs to be solid in that area!
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 29-Aug-12 08:34:37
Print Post

Re: Fastest connection for Bridge mode

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

The Draytek 120 (v2) is very highly rated as a pure ADSL2+ ethernet modem. Not cheap conisidering its a modem only but then again you get what you pay for.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-120-external-E...

Goscomb do BE wholesale packages but not sure what you think about the pricing for their unmetered package...£42+vat per month for an up to 24/2.5 meg service. Brilliant isp though smile
http://www.goscomb.net/connectivity/broadband/consumer

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Aug-12 19:06:27
Print Post

Re: Fastest connection for Bridge mode

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
So the ongoing routing issues with Be*

You did see the recent routing issue affected almost every UK ISP ? Granted it took BE longer to fix than others frown

I'm only leaving BE to go to Fibre with Sky, otherwise I'd stay.

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Ordered Sky Fibre Pro 45.6/6.5 - 4th sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/Sky
BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to