Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SolidCactus
(newbie) Sat 08-Sep-12 11:14:39
Print Post

Configure HG612 so it handles the PPPOE but remains bridged

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered before but I have searched but couldn't get to the bottom of this. I could really do with some advice if some one has configured/setup this up before.

It seems like it has been discussed on the below thread but there seemed

I have an unlocked HG612 and I would like HG612 handle the PPPoE connection and bridges pure Ethernet over LAN1 so I can have a more open dedicated router handle the NAT.

So it's very much like the default setup except the PPP is handled by the HG612.

Has anyone accomplished this or does anyone know the steps I would need to take to get this setup?

Any help/tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Luke
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Sep-12 11:31:04
Print Post

Re: Configure HG612 so it handles the PPPOE but remains brid

[re: SolidCactus] [link to this post]

What is it that you want to gain by having the HG612 handle the PPPoE. PPPoE is so common around the world, that any Ethernet router that does not handle it well should NOT be on the market.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Sep-12 16:13:06
Print Post

I'm not sure what your doing makes sense you can't have a modem handle PPPoE and use bridge mode at the same time. The whole point of bridge mode is to allow a router to handle acquiring an IP address and actually connecting to the Internet. You could however maybe let the modem handle PPPoE and then set the router to pick up the Internet IP address from the modem via DHCP. Though in my expedience its not too stable a solution as modems tend to be quite poor at doing this compared to a decent router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Sep-12 19:48:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm not sure what your doing makes sense you can't have a modem handle PPPoE and use bridge mode at the same time. The whole point of bridge mode is to allow a router to handle acquiring an IP address and actually connecting to the Internet. You could however maybe let the modem handle PPPoE and then set the router to pick up the Internet IP address from the modem via DHCP. Though in my expedience its not too stable a solution as modems tend to be quite poor at doing this compared to a decent router.

I guess that is what the OP wants, this would allow use of a device that didn't have a PPPoE client but could handle DHCP on the WAN. If the OP is with an ISP that provides fixed IP services then they might not even need DHCP. I suspect however it would be easier to get a device that does PPPoE.

James - be* pro - 16.8 / 1.2 Mbps until 16th Sept - then BT Infinity from 19th Sept - 44.6 / 6.5 Mbps estimated
BQM 13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)
(newbie) Sat 08-Sep-12 21:10:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Hi all,

Many thanks for the all the responses.

I don't quite agree that any decent device should handle PPPOE as the device I have in question is slightly more enterprise (Palo Alto firewall) and as such won't cater for consumer technologies.

Ideally I would like the modem to handle the PPPOE and the PA can handle the DHCP lease on the WAN.

Thanks,
Luke
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Sep-12 21:35:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by SolidCactus:
I don't quite agree that any decent device should handle PPPOE as the device I have in question is slightly more enterprise (Palo Alto firewall) and as such won't cater for consumer technologies.

That's what I suspected you might need to do smile Enterprise kit including the Juniper firewalls I use at work can do DHCP on an interface but not PPPoE. Cisco kit probably does as they throw most things in.

Ideally I would like the modem to handle the PPPOE and the PA can handle the DHCP lease on the WAN.

BatBoy might know if this is possible.

James - be* pro - 16.8 / 1.2 Mbps until 16th Sept - then BT Infinity from 19th Sept - 44.6 / 6.5 Mbps estimated
BQM 13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Sep-12 22:31:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes, I have the HG612 doing the PPPOE and then I have the router in the DMZ doing everything else.
Some links here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4153699-8020-i...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 08-Sep-12 22:34:55)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Sep-12 22:55:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by SolidCactus:
missing link

I have an unlocked HG612 and I would like HG612 handle the PPPoE connection and bridges pure Ethernet over LAN1 so I can have a more open dedicated router handle the NAT.

What you appear to be seeking is 'Half Bridge' mode, where the modem/router handles the PPPoX negotiation, then passes the given Public IP address to its LAN port(s) (as opposed to a DMZ on a router which would provide an extra helping of NAT).
I haven't seen 'Half Bridge' mode since I retired my old Conexant ADSL router several years ago.
From memory, it was the hell of a convoluted setup to get it working, but it did work.

You have an unlocked HG612. There are loads of settings to play with. What have you tried so far?

Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty - there is no (invalid) configuration on the HG612 that cannot be recovered by using the reset button.

Don't forget to disconnect the HG612 from the telephone line whilst 'experimenting' otherwise you'll be DLM'd.

Good Luck!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Sep-12 23:03:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

This could be a relevant setting:
DHCP spoofing

When the connection type is set to PPPoA or PPPoE, if this function is enabled, the IP addresses obtained from the WAN connection can be allocated to LAN devices through DHCP. Thus, for the LAN devices, a PPP network is regarded as a DHCP network. The advantage is that the LAN device does not need to be installed with a dial-up client when it obtains the addresses of public networks.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(newbie) Sun 09-Sep-12 08:55:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That does sound interesting and very much what I'm trying to achieve! Leave it with me and I will get it tested as soon as I can schedule an outage with the other half!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to