Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(regular) Sun 09-Sep-12 19:34:29
Print Post

Fritzbox 7390 or similar question

[link to this post]

If anyone uses a Fritzbox 7390 on their FTTC/VDSL2 connection I was wondering if anyone has tried changing the maximum performance/maximum stability settings to see if they work, or whether DLM just plain enforces it. I know this is impossible to do on the HG612 as it does no change when testing it.

My main reason for asking is because I would prefer to increase the SNRM as opposed to being lumped with a rather large interleaving depth. Higher SNRM should mean less CRC errors and DLM as a result reduces my interleaving depth, well that's the idea anyway. So before I buy a Fritz or Draytek I'd like to find out if anyone can elaborate whether either does what I'm asking despite DLM being in place?

I know the Fritz parameters work on an Australian ISP, as I came across the forum thread about it and how people were increasing their SNRM above what the DLM set them to by default.

Many thanks.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 09-Sep-12 21:15:19
Print Post

Re: Fritzbox 7390 or similar question

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Have you tried starting at max stability, then monitoring the line stats, then adjusting the settings?

Per these screenshots:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/73-fr...

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Ixel
(regular) Sun 09-Sep-12 21:26:18
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Have you tried starting at max stability, then monitoring the line stats, then adjusting the settings?

Per these screenshots:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/73-fr...

Thanks, seeing the pictures of the interface was useful, as I only saw the max stability/max performance page, however I don't believe you read my post entirely tongue.

I quote myself saying in the first message: "So before I buy a Fritz or Draytek I'd like to find out if anyone can elaborate whether either does what I'm asking despite DLM being in place?". So I don't currently own one, but would like to know if anyone else has tried before I buy one. I might just buy a Fritz anyway because I would find the VOIP functionality very useful.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 09-Sep-12 21:38:51
Print Post

Heh!

From the article I linked to:

In actual use we found the 7390 even with its settings at the default Maximum Performance to be a stable router, coping with fluctuations in noise margin, without undue stress.

Also, near the conclusion:

For those worrying about how the router performs on ADSL2+ and the noise margin drop once the sun sets, the line used for testing suffers from variable amounts of noise, but the 7390 would hold onto the line for a week or more, when other routers would drop it once or twice a night.

Backatcha! tongue

In fairness though, it doesn't mention tweaking, and as far as I know was not tested on a fibre line.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Sun 09-Sep-12 21:39:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Sep-12 21:45:32
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Review was getting pretty long, and didn't have time to play with it on FTTC, as meant travelling.

On WBC ADSL2+ Max Performance seemed to equal the MSAN settings as decided by WBC DLM. Moving towards the left simply increased the target noise margin, and other factors, i.e. slowing down/increasing latency

Suspect that what will be optimal will vary from line to line, and will depend on whether ECI or Huawei VDSL2

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ixel
(regular) Sun 09-Sep-12 22:20:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Review was getting pretty long, and didn't have time to play with it on FTTC, as meant travelling.

On WBC ADSL2+ Max Performance seemed to equal the MSAN settings as decided by WBC DLM. Moving towards the left simply increased the target noise margin, and other factors, i.e. slowing down/increasing latency

Suspect that what will be optimal will vary from line to line, and will depend on whether ECI or Huawei VDSL2

If it does allow me to increase the noise margin target I'm all for that. I may just buy one tomorrow anyway as (if it works properly that is, heard some rumors that it does ghost calls and caller ID is tempremental) VOIP with my BT DECT phones would be very handy.
Standard User Ixel
(regular) Tue 11-Sep-12 15:45:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just a follow up to say to everyone who's interested that you can bump the SNRM target up on the Line Settings tab with a BT Infinity connection. I've currently set my SNRM target on the downstream to 9dB successfully smile.
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 11-Sep-12 18:35:36
Print Post

But any way to reduce it? My target SNR is set to 12dB thanks to DLM and drops my line speed from 3Mbps down to about 1.8Mbps frown

I was perfectly happy with the stability at 6dB (hours/days between drops). My ISP resets it on request, but it quickly creeps-up again.

I know there is no option in the GUI, but perhaps the command-line? I must plug-in a phone so I can activate it smile

-==-
DougM
Standard User Ixel
(regular) Tue 11-Sep-12 18:42:40
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

I've heard you can use FB Editor to modify the configuration manually, this allows you to go beyond the limited range of the sliders in the line options. I don't know however if you can go below the default SNRM target.
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 11-Sep-12 18:59:03
Print Post

Yep, I also found this link to edit the file directly using the command-line:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=90&topi...

I'll have to give-it-a-go smile

-==-
DougM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to