Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User krismcewan
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 11:59:19
Print Post

Issues with Netgear DGN3500 and Wireless.

[link to this post]

Hi all

I need assistance on 2 counts.

first of all i have the aforementioned netgear DGN3500 ADSL router connected up to my ZEN broadband account.
Over the last year or so we have had issues with the Wireless dropping out at various points of the day for one or 2 main devices in the house. however some other devices and hard wired kit have no issues at the same time. I have used several different channels, upgraded and downgraded firmware, set fixed IP's, only use one of the Access points on the router. all with no avail.
I have about 10-12 devices on the wifi, normally about 8 at once including phones, laptops and iOS devices.

ZEN have as normal been absolutely fantastic in support but its at the stage that they have ruled out any DSL faults.

Anyone have any ideas? Is the router goosed or am i expecting to much of the device

Second of all if the router is goosed whats the best bet for a router that gives me what i need which is 1gb lan, good wireless coverage, USB storage (not essentail but desirable) easy configuration for remote access to my home server (VPN would be nice) and Netflix streaming and gaming.
I did buy the Asus RT-N66 but me being an idiot i didnt realise it didnt have a ADSL modem in it (not sent back yet). Did look at the DSL-N55 but wanted to guage opinion before i spent the £100 on it.
Shoudl i keep the Asus RT and just buy a Modem? although i dont really want YET another device.

Edited by krismcewan (Mon 24-Sep-12 12:13:23)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-12 12:54:51
Print Post

Re: Issues with Netgear DGN3500 and Wireless.

[re: krismcewan] [link to this post]

Don't generally like ADSL Modem and seperate routers personally.

The DSL-N55 is running for review at home now, and while first version firmware was dodgy, second go and seems better. Essentially same as the R66 but with ADSL modem in terms of interface and features.

If the DGN3500 is running the ADSL side well, then consider a wireless access point, that does dual band, as the 5GHz has less interference issues. The RT-N66 will run in this mode, but is expensive, but does have the advantage of re-use as a router when you perhaps get a fibre service in the future.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krismcewan
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 12:59:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep the DGN is doing everything at the moment.
Does the DSL-N55 have the VPN features that the N66 says it has?

I dont think though i will get fiber in the lifetime of the RT-N66. we are 30 miles from Edinburgh and although i can get 10mb broadband now its not likely that we would be seen as a priority area.

Edited by krismcewan (Mon 24-Sep-12 13:03:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 24-Sep-12 18:59:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Don't generally like ADSL Modem and seperate routers personally.

Actually its far better to have a separate combo because a decent router-only will be a lot more powerful than a combined router - especially in wireless speeds.

OP, the Asus RT-N66 is easily the best router out there and will trash the performance of routers in combined modem/router units. Keep the RT-N66 and use a decent ethernet ADSL2+ modem such as the Draytek 120 v2 or if that's too costly, then go for the TPlink 8817...both are excellent smile
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-120-external-E...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-8817-Ethernet-Rou...
(both modems are quite small so can be well hidden)

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 24-Sep-12 19:01:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-12 19:22:10
Print Post

[re: krismcewan] [link to this post]

The N55 does have the VPN server and the QoS controls like the RT66 too

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krismcewan
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 20:31:21
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

i have ordered the TP link modem. will see how that works out.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Sep-12 22:22:06
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Actually its far better to have a separate combo because a decent router-only will be a lot more powerful than a combined router - especially in wireless speeds.

Doesn't have to be, if its designed properly. Problem is most kit is designed TO a price, not for performance and so share a single (slow) CPU for everything.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
  Print Thread

Jump to