Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ss_4
(learned) Sun 30-Sep-12 12:39:58
Print Post

Not sure what type of hardware I need

[link to this post]

I want to make my wired connection wireless but I'm confused as to what equipment I need. Currently I connect my computer to the wall socket using an Ethernet cable but this means I can only use one device at a time and can't use my phone over wifi.

Basically I want to make this wired connection wireless. I'm guessing the wall socket is connected to a router somewhere but I don't have access to that.

Here's what I've looked at so far:

1) My first instincts were to get a "normal" wireless (cable) router. Would this work?
2) Following on from this I looked to get a linksys router and use cascade mode
3) There is also bridge mode (don't really know the difference between this and cascade above)
4) You can also get a wireless access point.

I've got confused with all of the above and don't really know what mode is the correct one for me and what type of hardware I need to buy.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 12:45:12
Print Post

Re: Not sure what type of hardware I need

[re: ss_4] [link to this post]

I think that you need to talk to whoever owns the (supposed) router first.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 12:58:41
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

That was my first reaction as well smile.

I wonder what would happen if he just plugged a WAP in there? He'd lose the wired connection of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:01:31
Print Post

As micksharpe says, plus my reply to him.

You can't just plug a router into that socket. That requires changes to the existing router setup, or in some cases detailed knowledge of that setup will do.

I think a WAP might work, but not sure. I expect very soon someone who does know will comment yea or nay.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Sep-12 13:01:48)

Standard User ss_4
(learned) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:31:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A few points:

1) I don't actually know if the wall socket is connected to a router, I don't really know what it's connected to.
2) I'm in halls at uni, so I don't know who is in charge of this sort of thing.
3) It might be against the t&c's to set up wireless but I think you would be able to get away with it.

I was hoping that there would be some sort of device that would just broadcast the connection but the routing, assigning of ip's, firewall etc to whatever does that now.

Thanks smile
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:41:38
Print Post

You must check your uni's policies. It is unlikely that residents would be allowed to set up their own wireless networks and may face disconnection if found out.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 14:25:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by ss_4:
A few points:

1) I don't actually know if the wall socket is connected to a router, I don't really know what it's connected to.
2) I'm in halls at uni, so I don't know who is in charge of this sort of thing.
3) It might be against the t&c's to set up wireless but I think you would be able to get away with it.

I was hoping that there would be some sort of device that would just broadcast the connection but the routing, assigning of ip's, firewall etc to whatever does that now.

Thanks smile
1) It is.
2) Don't ask, in case the answer is no.
3) Find out somehow, but see (2). You should have your terms available somewhere.

Are you sure there isn't a wireless signal already available? You could ask about that, without saying anyhing about this idea. If there is one, then it is more likely they would frown on you adding your own, because of channel interference.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 14:56:39
Print Post

You can use inSSIDer to find out what access points are "visible" from your room.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:18:42
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

So by the sound of it, if it is not against the terms of your halls contract, what you need to do is buy a router that has an Ethernet WAN port. Usually labelled as a cable router in stores and online.

This will get just one IP address from the halls network and allow you to connect computers via Ethernet or WiFi

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:44:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So by the sound of it, if it is not against the terms of your halls contract, what you need to do is buy a router that has an Ethernet WAN port. Usually labelled as a cable router in stores and online.

This will get just one IP address from the halls network and allow you to connect computers via Ethernet or WiFi
Isn't he going to get in a mess with DHCP if he does that Andrew? Isn't a WAP the way to go, and tough luck about the ethernet? Or can he just disable DHCP on his own router?

That's assuming the Hall doesn't provide wireless as well as wired, which he hasn't checked yet.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to