Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:48:16
Print Post

Re: Not sure what type of hardware I need

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Why? WAN port gets it IP address via DHCP and so long as LAN side is on a different range router will happily run NAT services via the LAN side DHCP server.

If he uses a WAP and the ethernet port is setup so only one IP address can be handed out in it, then with a WAP only device oneline at a time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:51:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What puzzles me is how many levels of NAT can the protocol handle?

His router will be mapping his many IPs into one, the one the Uni router has assigned him, and the Uni router will be mapping all the students/staff IPs into the external IP that the ISP has assigned the Uni.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:57:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If it is a uni router, and not just a service provided by a commercial operator like Ask4, we don't know enough. Knowing which Halls would allow people to find out some information and give better specific advance.

You can have many layers of NAT, the problems only tend to arise with some software that has issues even with one layer of nat, or if the bigger routers don't already have understanding of software like Skype etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 23:45:14
Print Post

I think I get that.

So what you are saying is that if the two subnets are different, as in 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x, then when we advise people to play around with the add-on router, disabling DHCP on it and giving it a fixed IP address on the line-connected router, we are doing something completely unnecessary?

Which on reflection, is what routers are for frown. Sorting out the nets and subnets.

But? What about the add-on router and knowing the internet gateway IP address?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Oct-12 10:43:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

>we are doing something completely unnecessary?

Not really, where its setting up a router to behave as a WAP, the advantage here is that by bypassing NAT the user does not have port forwarding and UPnP to enable/manage on two devices.

In a home most people want all the devices on the same subnet. In halls having your own private subnet might be useful to provide for file sharing between PC's, or protecting yourself from others than may be on same subnet. All depends on network is setup in building.

In hotels with ethernet I always using a router, rather than connect directly.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Oct-12 11:21:39
Print Post

Just a query on this topic,

If SS4 adds a wireless router, in which most likely he will have to manually re configure either subnet/ip range. Wouldn't this mean he will nolonger be able to access the Uni's entranet and file sharing facilities?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Oct-12 11:31:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

No sites on the WAN side intranet should still be visible.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 01-Oct-12 12:08:01
Print Post

Some questions that havent been asked yet!

Does the Hall require any authentification to the network? My daughter is at Liverpool university and in first year she was in University owned accomodication where the network was set up to recognise the MAC address of the PC and did a security check enforcing anti-virus presence etc as the network was part of the University network. Wifi and own routers etc were banned and the network required authentication from the connected device before connection.

She has just started second year and is in private sector hall of residence (Unite Student Living). They DO allow wireless provision but they also require authentication from each connected device every 24 hours or so. I set up a wireless router with WAN input and it works a treat now but the first time it was connected it refused to connect as the DHCP lease to the laptop would not expire until the next day. This system recognises the connection of each device (and using NAT with a 192.168.20.xxx address) and authentication is handled properly by a web screen.

Not straightforward but is doable.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Oct-12 12:45:26
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Hence my suggesting knowing which halls would help, particularly as this sort of thing will be on FAQ's or covered on the Student Union website from discussions of those who stayed the year before.

Standard User ss_4
(learned) Tue 02-Oct-12 22:13:11
Print Post

Just replying to a few points made here.

The halls are let by a local private company and are not owned by the university. There is no access to the uni's intranet or file sharing. It is only a internet connection.

The internet is not provided by Ask4 which asks you to register devices that use the connection. As far as I'm aware the ISP is Virgin Media (according to the thinkbroadband speed test and speedtest.net). All you need to do to access the internet is plug an ethernet cable into the wall and the other end into the laptop. There is no need to register the device on the network or login before you can use the internet.

I know that a few students in another flat are creating wifi hotspots from their laptops but my wireless card does not support it. There is also another wireless network within range which has the flat number and room number as the SSID!

I hope this answers some of the queries and clears up some of the confusion. Would a normal cable router be fine?

Edit: Just to add, there is no wireless available, otherwise this problem wouldn't exist! Having no wireless is annoying because I can't use my android phone (except the 250MB mobile data), others in my flat can't use their tablet/xbox.

Edited by ss_4 (Tue 02-Oct-12 22:20:30)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to