Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Mon 29-Oct-12 15:35:56
Print Post

Linksys EA4500 vs Asus RT-N66U

[link to this post]

I'm looking for a little help deciding on a router. I've narrowed it down to one of the two in the title and I'm on the verge of buying. Currently the Linksys is £75 and the Asus £110. I've had a good look through the forums and it seems most people prefer the Asus, but is it £35 better than the Linksys?

Thanks

Huw
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Mon 29-Oct-12 17:14:10
Print Post

Re: Linksys EA4500 vs Asus RT-N66U

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Hi,

Having just bought the Asus, I'm probably a little biased, however, I would say yes, it's worth it.

Reading lots and lots of reviews, I hear mixed things about the Linksys (Cisco), some love it, some hate it and with a passion!

My view was in for a penny in for a pound, and I got the Asus, and I have to say, I am not disappointed. You will read some reviews saying it has problems, true, but Asus are constantly and rapidly updating the firmware fixing bugs.

One really great thing I found is a guy called Merlin - http://www.lostrealm.ca/ - he uses the (open source) Asus firmware and adds a few extra bits and treaks to it. - For example, I am on Sky FTTC which uses MER authentication which no router supports other than the Billion 7800N and DD-WRT routers. Merlin added the functionality to the Asus and it works a charm!!
  Print Thread

Jump to