Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 31-Oct-12 11:23:27
Print Post

Recommendations for Router for FTTC

[link to this post]

My line has just become enabled for FTTC broadband so I'm starting to figure out what equipment I need to buy.

Current setup: Netgear DG834v2 connected to the ADSL. This is set up to not do NAT, and we have 5 wired devices attached (2 directly, 3 via a switch) which all have their own public IP addresses. One of these devices is a wireless router that runs NAT and handles all our wireless devices plus a couple of wired ones.

We'd like to keep the setup as much the same as possible, effectively just replacing the Netgear DG834 with something that will handle the FTTC connection. I've had a little look at these forums and seen the Billion 7800n mentioned (tho I'd probably buy the non-wireless version). Is that a good router? Are there any other recommendations for routers at about the same price point or cheaper?

(Our ISP, Zen, recommend a Draytek one that costs ~£290 and I'd rather not pay that much if I don't have to.)

Thanks,
pling.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 31-Oct-12 11:34:32
Print Post

Re: Recommendations for Router for FTTC

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Fritz!Box 7390 works a treat on FTTC. Simple set up plus it is also a DECT base station (with VOIP capability), IPv6 and dual band wifi. I am also with Zen on Fibre Active and my FB GUI shows max attainable rates of 100/30 at c.250Metres. Can be purchased for about £200 but be careful about sourcing from outside the UK as the German version will not work on UK VDSL. Read the review on this site.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 31-Oct-12 11:48:46
Print Post

Thanks for the rec - that's still quite pricey though, I was hoping for things more at the £100 mark.

(I may not've phrased my first post well, I don't necessarily want a box that will do the job of the Openreach VDSL modem, just something that is fine with no NAT and will connect to the modem.)

pling.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Oct-12 12:02:13
Print Post

In which case probably best looking at the more normal Ethernet router market, i.e. stuff that is advertised as suitable for cable networks.

Though be wary of buying older hardware that does not support high throughput on the WAN interface

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 31-Oct-12 13:07:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In which case probably best looking at the more normal Ethernet router market, i.e. stuff that is advertised as suitable for cable networks.

Though be wary of buying older hardware that does not support high throughput on the WAN interface

Ah OK, thanks for the help.

pling.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 31-Oct-12 13:12:39
Print Post

You might think this is daft, i.e. stupidly cheap, but several of us on these forums have one. I also have two Plusnet-supplied Netgears and use this instead, as it has the best wireless. (Though it appears that isn't relevant to you).

Returnable as well?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to