Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Neilski
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-12 17:44:24
Print Post

Draytek Vigors Stopped Connecting to Business Broadband

[link to this post]

We use a Draytek Vigor 2820Vn router to connect our local network to our BT Business Broadband ADSL service. We actually have two, one we keep configured as a running spare.

Seven days ago, the Vigor could not establish an ADSL connection. We tried swapping the spare Vigor - same problem. After several calls to BT Customer Support, they sent an Open Reach engineer out to our premises this morning. After some diagnostic tests and swapping our two Vigors backwards and forwards - no success. As a final measure he connected a BT Business Hub 3.0 and... it worked perfectly (both to his and my surprise. We tried swapping the Vigor's back in, but still no ADSL connection.

Looking at the config on the BT Business Hub it looks the same as the corresponding configs on the Vigors. Whilst the BT Hub is a temporary fix, we want to reinstate the Vigors because...

- We want to assign out static IP addresses to local network hardware
- The Vigors provide 3G fail-over
- And, well, we just like them!

The question is, can anyone point me in the direction of what a) may have changed to stop their failure, and b) what we can look at changing to bring them back into service.

Here is the basic config of the Vigors:

Multi-PVC Channel: Channel 1
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Encapsulating Type: VC MUX
Protocol: PPoA
Modulation: G.DMT (also tried Multimode)
MTU: 1442

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:02:48
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigors Stopped Connecting to Business Broadband

[re: Neilski] [link to this post]

Hello,

Hopefully someone with Draytek experience can answer this, but what I understand about some Draytek models is it's the host pc that controls/establishes the ppp/chap sessions.

This could be why the BT Hub works and the Draytek's dont as the hub controls the ppp/chap internally.

But again, someone with Draytek experience/ownership can confirm or correct me.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:12:24
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
Hopefully someone with Draytek experience can answer this, but what I understand about some Draytek models is it's the host pc that controls/establishes the ppp/chap sessions.

Only with the Vigor 110/120 which are modems. The 4 digit models (with ADSL) are full routers that do it all in the box.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:20:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Neilski:
Seven days ago, the Vigor could not establish an ADSL connection.

The question is, can anyone point me in the direction of what a) may have changed to stop their failure, and b) what we can look at changing to bring them back into service.

Here is the basic config of the Vigors:

Multi-PVC Channel: Channel 1
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Encapsulating Type: VC MUX
Protocol: PPoA
Modulation: G.DMT (also tried Multimode)
MTU: 1442

Which software version are your 2820's running? My 2820Vn is running 3.3.7.2_232201 from May this year.

On the web page open Physical Settings -> Online Status, and check to see if WAN 1 is reporting any ADSL SYNC - it should be "SHOWTIME" when the ADSL port is connected to the phone line through the filter. If its not showing SHOWTIME then its possible the Vigor's ADSL modem has been zapped.

Under WAN -> General Setup ensure you have Enabled the WAN1 option - leave everything else here as defaults.

Under WAN -> Internet Access make sure you are using the PPPoE/PPPoA tab, and that its enabled. There you should be able to confirm the settings you have above. Multimode is the default and normally works but you should also try ADSL2(G.992.3) and ADSL2+ options(G.992.5) but ignore the annex M options. Ensure the username and password for the connection is in the top right (or use bthomehub@btinternet.com and no password) and that authetication is set as PAP or CHAP.

Under WAN -> Multi-PVCs on the General tab, ensure Channel 1 is ticked, and that VPI is 0 and VCI is 38, the QOS Type is UBR and the Protocol is PPPoA and the encapsulation is VC MUX. Those should all be set automatically from the previous page but worth double checking.

Then go back to Physical Settings -> Online status and see if you get SHOWTIME.

If you don't after that, its worth trying to update the firmware, and if that doesn't work I would open a support case with Draytek UK - see www.draytek.co.uk

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:21:22
Print Post

Try changing the MTU
Any clues in the log?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:30:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Try changing the MTU
Any clues in the log?

Yes, good idea - logging on the draytek's is annoying if you don't have a USB memory stick plugged in, or a remote syslog. (they're really designed for syslog).

Standard User Neilski
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:34:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

All configs are as you suggest. The online status only ever shows [PPP SHUTDOWN].

I applied the latest firmware patches from the Draytek web site earlier today (v3.3.7.3)

I am beginning to think that it might indeed be a hardware failure - it's just odd that both units are showing the same problem.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:43:27
Print Post

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_mtu.html

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 22:50:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_mtu.html

Sadly that document is very out of date and those commands don't work on my 2820, so I'm assuming they are for the 2800 or earlier models.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 22:53:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Neilski:
All configs are as you suggest. The online status only ever shows [PPP SHUTDOWN].
I applied the latest firmware patches from the Draytek web site earlier today (v3.3.7.3)
I am beginning to think that it might indeed be a hardware failure - it's just odd that both units are showing the same problem.

PPP SHUTDOWN generally means the username/password is wrong - but that is shown in the WAN 1 status section in the middle of the status box.

At the bottom of the status box is the "ADSL information" bit with the ADSL firmware (mine is 232201_A). In this section it says "ADSL Status Mode" and underneath that it needs to say SHOWTIME - does it ?

If it says SHOWTIME but you still get "PPP SHUTDOWN" then you need to try other usernames and passwords - the HomeHub's have these built in and hidden. frown

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to