Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sat 17-Nov-12 23:20:13
Print Post

Technicolour TG582n Router

[link to this post]

I have noticed that BE/02, talktalk, tescos as well as plusnet use this router. I can buy one of these cheap on ebay, so if I did go with plusnet, I won't be paying £40 as it don't have great reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B005ELFTH4/r...

My question is, can I flash the TG582n with either generic firmware or isp firmware say from plusnet?

So if I buy a BE/O2 version, can I flash it with plusnet firmware?

smile

Edited by superspeed (Sat 17-Nov-12 23:58:15)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Nov-12 00:42:32
Print Post

Re: Technicolour TG582n Router

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by superspeed:
I have noticed that BE/02, talktalk, tescos as well as plusnet use this router. I can buy one of these cheap on ebay, so if I did go with plusnet, I won't be paying £40 as it don't have great reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B005ELFTH4/r...

My question is, can I flash the TG582n with either generic firmware or isp firmware say from plusnet?

So if I buy a BE/O2 version, can I flash it with plusnet firmware?

smile
They may have locked them down for some silly reason, but the router that BE supply is only on loan not sure if o2 is the same

Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 18-Nov-12 15:10:07
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
They may have locked them down for some silly reason, but the router that BE supply is only on loan not sure if o2 is the same

Yes I remember years ago with BE that you had to send the router back when you left. Or you had to pay if you wanted to keep it.

Only thing I found about this is here http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=16958 but does not answer my question fully.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Sun 18-Nov-12 20:02:47
Print Post

Plusnet supplied me with a 582n FOC.

It has Plusnet firmware but I don't think this very different from the standard firmware.

I also have a DGN2200 which Plusnet supplied FOC a year earlier, and does not have any branding.

You can learn about these things on the Plusnet forum.

Michael Chare
Standard User davrosG5
(newbie) Sun 18-Nov-12 20:29:40
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Firmware upgrades for the 582n are not readily available (they can't be downloaded from the Thomson/Technicolor website). The router is designed to be supported direct from your ISP who can connect to it using a special server to update firmware (that the ISP can obtain from Technicolour as a partner company). No idea if you can get decent third party firmware for this router.

If you want to tinker with the router are need advanced features (like QoS, VPN) then look elsewhere as this is a pretty basic domestic router.

I've just installed the Zen version and it's been fine (although only been in use for 1 day). No significant difference from my previous Thomson 585 v7 router except that Zen will actually support this one.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Nov-12 21:05:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by superspeed:
In reply to a post by tommy45:

Yes I remember years ago with BE that you had to send the router back when you left. Or you had to pay if you wanted to keep it.

Only thing I found about this is here http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=16958 but does not answer my question fully.
The wireless sucks aparently as reported be several BE unlimited customers, I have one ,don't use it though, my personal opinion of them is they are a POS router, that belongs in the bin, probably why they are the choice of some ISP's that and price as well as the built in backdoor , but they are a pain to configure port forwarding too, I don't wish to spend hours configuring a router , the netgear is very straighfoward, as are the billion 7800n now there is a proper router for you

Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Sun 18-Nov-12 22:07:03
Print Post

I also received one of these routers from Zen, free of charge, as a result of signing up for FTTC broadband.

I'm glad that I did not pay for it as I am very unimpressed - probably only worth £10 - £15 as a bargain basement quality router.

If you want a basic router to plug in, leave on default settings and forget then fine. However, if you want to change settings then, I'm not so sure.

Zen supply it with their own version of firmware which offers choices to use as an ADSL modem/router or WAN router for connection to the Openreach modem. In the latter configuration you lose the 4th ethernet port to use as the WAN connection.

I cannot change the default DHCP range and gateway IP which Zen have pre-programmed AND successfully access the internet. Also, if powered down overnight, it occasionally "forgets" device settings which I have nominated (i.e. nomination of static IP allocation and port forwarding).

As I have just gone live with FTTC this weekend, I'll live with it for a few weeks but fully intend to purchase a better quality router in the near future. I'm looking at the TP Link 1043 gigabit router which gets good reviews for the price.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 18-Nov-12 23:04:45
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ToneDeaf:
I cannot change the default DHCP range and gateway IP which Zen have pre-programmed AND successfully access the internet. Also, if powered down overnight, it occasionally "forgets" device settings which I have nominated (i.e. nomination of static IP allocation and port forwarding).

Ditto that for Plusnet. I had to change my private network addresses to suit. Not a massive deal, but I would prefer to have the freedom of thought.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Nov-12 23:35:45
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

TR069 as in the backdoor is a very common standard these days

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 18-Nov-12 23:40:00
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

I was looking at this TP router version. Not bad price http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WR2543ND-450Mbps-Dual-Ban...

Agree about 15 quid is all the TG582n Router is worth. Not £40. smile

Edited by superspeed (Sun 18-Nov-12 23:40:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to