Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User crey
(regular) Mon 26-Nov-12 17:44:38
Print Post

Upgrade for Netgaer DT834GT on Talk Talk adsl

[link to this post]

I'm looking to swap out my trusty old Netgear DT834GT because it is starting get a bit flaky and I could do with upping my lan speed to gigabit as we stream a lot of media around it. Improved wi-fi would help as well. I'm on talktalk adsl at the moment and it doesn't sound like we will be fttc enabled any time soon. So I'll need to connect via adls 2+ for the time being at least.
Now the question...
I've been looking at various router/modems such as the netgear D6300 or DGND4000 and the Asus RT-AC66U.

I like the look of the Asus RT-AC66U. but,it doesn't have adsl modem built in. This is true of many of the higher end routers as far as I can see.
So, will I be ok putting such a router behind a stand alone adsl modem?
I have a bt voyager 190 I could use.
I'm working on the theory that I can set the bt voyager up as half bridge or full bridge and connect the new router's wan port to it.
Just want to be sure it will work?
Any guidance appreciated.

Regards
Clive
Standard User paulb100
(regular) Tue 11-Dec-12 03:03:09
Print Post

Re: Upgrade for Netgaer DT834GT on Talk Talk adsl

[re: crey] [link to this post]

you can piggy back routers/switches onto other routers no bother, their are plenty of high end routers with modems too

you could use DG834GT as a modem only (providing the modem is working fine) then plug any other router into it - TBH the BT Voyager is ancient, older than your GT, I wouldnt use it, but you could

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 11-Dec-12 09:10:58
Print Post

If you want the optimum ADSL speeds on your TalkTalk LLU line, then go for the Draytek 120 modem (matches most TalkTalk exchange chipsets) and pair that with the Asus RT-AC66U which you mentioned - Asus gear is generally very good. I'm using the Draytek 120 with the Cisco EA4500 router on my TT line and its a rock solid combination
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-120-external-E...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Dec-12 09:12:56
Print Post

Surely you video streaming is limited by your ADLS2+ speed so going Gigabit for LAN won't help with that?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User crey
(member) Tue 11-Dec-12 09:41:47
Print Post

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by paulb100:
you can piggy back routers/switches onto other routers no bother, their are plenty of high end routers with modems too

you could use DG834GT as a modem only (providing the modem is working fine) then plug any other router into it - TBH the BT Voyager is ancient, older than your GT, I wouldnt use it, but you could

I have several netgear DG834GT's around. The trouble is they all keep dropping sync so I assume the modem is playing up.
They do tend to run hot so are prone to failure from what I have read.
I am currently using the TT supplied D-Link DSL-2780 in bridge mode and it is giving the best sync speeds of all the "modems" I have; 13249 Kbps with speed test results of 10Mbps+ consistently.
I agree the Voyager is getting on now but it still syncs well and holds a line better than many. Will hang on to it as a spare at least wink

Regards
Clive
Standard User crey
(member) Tue 11-Dec-12 09:45:24
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
If you want the optimum ADSL speeds on your TalkTalk LLU line, then go for the Draytek 120 modem (matches most TalkTalk exchange chipsets) and pair that with the Asus RT-AC66U which you mentioned - Asus gear is generally very good. I'm using the Draytek 120 with the Cisco EA4500 router on my TT line and its a rock solid combination
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-120-external-E...

Thanks baby_frogmella, It's good to hear the Draytek performs well at first hand.
I'm using the TT supplied D-Link DSL-2780 in bridge mode at the moment and all seems to be holding up well.
Good sync speed and 10Mbps+ speed test results so will stick with thast for the time being and see how it goes.

Regards
Clive
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 09:46:00
Print Post

Maybe not playing up, but just responding to the noise margin lowering for the line and thus resyncing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User crey
(member) Tue 11-Dec-12 09:52:19
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
Surely you video streaming is limited by your ADLS2+ speed so going Gigabit for LAN won't help with that?

Hi gomess, I'm streaming video around my LAN from a couple of media servers so the ADSL line doesn't come into it. Hence the desire for GB LAN speeds.
I do stream some live TV services over the internet but that tends to be one at a time so the DL speeds I am getting cope with it OK. Plus with GB on the LAN it doesn't clash if anyone else is watching a local stream at the same time.

Regards
Clive
  Print Thread

Jump to