Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:14:35
Print Post

Looking for upgrade from Netgear DGFV338

[link to this post]

We have a DGFV338 in use with the Ethernet WAN port and wireless disabled in my office - and our internet link is increasing in speed. I've read the 338 only supports a maximum of 50megabit of throughput. Anyone using something newer, but similar features, that has faster throughput? The only router I've come across that might work is the Draytek 2830 (ie without wireless) but its only rated at 90megabit, and I'm looking for something with a bit of capability. (The WAN is a business circuit - leased line - that could go upto gigabit if the boss could afford it)

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:21:07
Print Post

Re: Looking for upgrade from Netgear DGFV338

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

A lot depends on what features you need, e.g. are you using the VPN functionality at all?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/76-as... is the more modern Ethernet router, and the reviews the sort of throughput you can expect from well specced routers.

How many computers are on the LAN side of the router?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:46:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A lot depends on what features you need, e.g. are you using the VPN functionality at all?

No, we won't need that.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/76-as... is the more modern Ethernet router, and the reviews the sort of throughput you can expect from well specced routers.
How many computers are on the LAN side of the router?

That's pretty nice. I wonder if there is anything similar without the WiFi ? I suspect the answer is No and I'd get strange looks for that request smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:47:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The non-wifi versions tend to end up costing more a lot of the time these days, just disable it and leave the antenna in the box smile

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:56:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The non-wifi versions tend to end up costing more a lot of the time these days, just disable it and leave the antenna in the box smile

Yeah, I noticed - thanks, now time to negotiate with the boss - cheers smile

Print Thread

Jump to