Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Mon 10-Dec-12 17:57:53
Print Post

Connecting a weather camera

[link to this post]

I am playing around with installing a weather camera. The main problem is that it is the opposite side of the house to my computer. I have tried a cheap IPCamera but was not too successful - a bit new to market and needs some sorting.

I was thinking of an alternative using a USB web cam and connecting to a router with a USB socket which would then connect wi-fi to the main router.

Is this a practical proposition or just not a runner?

Thanks

David

Regards

David
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Dec-12 18:13:22
Print Post

Re: Connecting a weather camera

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

USB sockets on routers are usually storage based, i.e. not for operating USB based cameras.

The IP camera you tried was that using wireless? If so, if it has Ethernet consider using HomePlug units to link it to your ethernet network.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Mon 10-Dec-12 19:37:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks

Yes I do realise they are for storage but would it work in principle - it is still moving data around.

It was wireless. From what I have read, the homeplugs do not work that well with them

Regards

David

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 10-Dec-12 21:48:32
Print Post

the USB port gives you a connection to the router's board and operating system - if that doesn't know what to do with the device it sees then nothing will happen.

Chances are the router is running Linux and makes a plugged in hard disk available as a shared file store, or a printer as a shared printer. No idea what it would do with a camera, best to RTFM for a router with a USB socket and see what services it offers.

I don't believe a USB webcam has a TCP/IP connectivity, it needs a driver in the OS to work with it and provide connectivity and services.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 00:09:57
Print Post

Router won't see the camera thats the simplest version.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 00:15:20
Print Post

http://meteo.milliflora.com/MET_Page_CamTypes.aspx

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-12 10:17:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys.

Makes sense - that idea can be binned.

Regards

David
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 12:33:22
Print Post

What's your budget?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-12 13:06:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What's your budget?

It is around £70. I have just returned the camera I had as it had faults. It is new to market and has some bugs in the software and hardware. The company is refunding without question. It will need some months to get it right and proven.

This is very much the budget end of the market but does not warrant spending more on it (even if I had the money). This is why I was looking at the webcam approach but has drawbacks on the distance (USB cable) and having the computer running. The latter is not really a problem since it is not necessary at night.

Regards

David
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 13:53:16
Print Post

Sorry, forgot to ask - is it going to be outdoors or indoors?
That may be an obvious answer..

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to