Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User k1ll3r
(newbie) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:46:56
Print Post

New router to setup QoS

[link to this post]

Hi guys, I have a problem with ping spikes whilst online.

I've experienced it in the games; Quakelive and Tribes Ascend, and the VOIP app Mumble. I run on wireless so I looked to see if that was a problem. I ran a ping test on both my PC (on wireless) and another PC on the network (using ethernet). Both showed latency issues and some minor packetloss (1 or 2 packets dropped out of about 1000). So I ruled out the wireless.

I noticed this would happen late in the evening when everyone would start to use the internet and after further testing, concluded that it was due to other people on the network at the same time as myself.

I then tried to follow this guide to set up QoS on my router: Thomson TG585 v7. It appeared to work when I first set it up, but recently I've begun to notice the problem again.

I can't see a way to resolve this issue without getting a new router that can hopefully implement QoS better. If you have recommendations please post; I'd also be interested in other solutions that I might not have considered.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:02:59
Print Post

Re: New router to setup QoS

[re: k1ll3r] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/78-as...

The QoS options on that router were fairly impressive, and with the traffic manager there was a decent amount of feedback as to what was going on. With that router if you make your gaming traffic the highest priority, then if you are not gaming the lower priority stuff should still run as fast as line speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User k1ll3r
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 19:21:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Looks overkill to me. Is that the only option available?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 12-Dec-12 21:12:44
Print Post

[re: k1ll3r] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by k1ll3r:
Looks overkill to me. Is that the only option available?

you could get a separate line for gaming...
  Print Thread

Jump to