Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JoePS
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 18:36:15
Print Post

New ADSL router to Replace TG585v7 - long/noisy line

[link to this post]

Hi,

I currently have a Thomson TG585v7 which often suffers disconnection - the problem is it seems to crash the router and it restarts which takes about 2-4 minutes to be totally usable again. This is particularly a problem as somebody in the house plays online poker.

Currently it seems to sit at around about a 10dB snr down and up so it's not ridiculously low or anything and my ISP fix my sync to stop that.

Just recently it's also decided to drop all wireless until the interface is restarted (the SSID is still there on a scan, but nothing can connect), but typically if you do this within an hour it cuts out again, you need to reboot the router to make it stick for more than an hour or two - again this is a problem as many of the devices are mobile and it's annoying to have to go restart the router, especially if said poker player, who is wired, isn't having a problem and doesn't want the router restarting.

Can anybody recommend a particular ADSL wireless router that is less likely to suffer these restarts and wireless drop outs? The only requirements I guess are:

There are two wired connections (Sky+ box and a PC)
There are four smartphones, two kindles and four laptops running wirelessly.
I am not on a BT line - I need to be able to modify the VCI and VPI settings.
Ideally the MTU should be modifiable too, as my ISP did something recently that broke a lot of routers where this couldn't be modified...

Do you think there is any potential benefit to separate router/modem so that errors on the line don't cause the whole device to bomb out...

Thanks,
JoePS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Dec-12 00:52:33
Print Post

Re: New ADSL router to Replace TG585v7 - long/noisy line

[re: JoePS] [link to this post]

Is it getting very hot in the centre of the top? If so, make sure it is on a hard surface, not a soft one such as a carpet, and prop one side up about 2.5cm/1" to promote a cross-flow of air within it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User JoePS
(newbie) Thu 20-Dec-12 13:35:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's warm but not hot. It's on a hard surface but I will try propping it up too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Sun 23-Dec-12 11:50:32
Print Post

[re: JoePS] [link to this post]

You could use a 2nd router for Wifi assuming that you have something else on you network to use when the ADSL connection is down.

You might also need to get the joints in your line fixed.

I have have not had your problems with my 585v7s on my 63db downstream attenuation line. I now use a 582n

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to