Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Mon 24-Dec-12 20:08:48
Print Post

Router with gigabit WAN

[link to this post]

so in going to buy a new router for my fttc service I was looking at most and all have 100mbps wan any other there with 1gbps wan as I think it would be more future proof imo.

BTInfinity - NSDEN using TP-Link W8960n

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Mon 24-Dec-12 20:09:37)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 24-Dec-12 20:24:57
Print Post

Re: Router with gigabit WAN

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Depends how much you want to pay:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/76-as...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 25-Dec-12 09:34:16
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Wow that's one nice piece of kit and yes i'm willing to pay that kinda of money as long as it will last laugh

BTInfinity - NSDEN using TP-Link W8960n

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 25-Dec-12 10:26:13
Print Post

I've been using one for about 6 months now.

I don't make use of all its facilities, eg I don't need QoS, and I'm about 3 firmware revisions behind (if it ain't broke, don't fix it tongue) but I haven't been able to fault it.

The ability to hang an external USB drive on it as a sort of poor man's NAS has been handy, and it even looks good smile

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Tue 25-Dec-12 15:11:09
Print Post

Draytek range.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Dec-12 12:47:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by epyon:
so in going to buy a new router for my fttc service I was looking at most and all have 100mbps wan any other there with 1gbps wan as I think it would be more future proof imo.

Don't just look at WAN port speed but how fast the router can "route" between the WAN and the LAN. Some tests here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar

(link credit - BatBoy)

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to