Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User markpirvine
(newbie) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:29:37
Print Post

BT Infinity Business 5 Static IP Addresses Hardware Suggesti

[link to this post]

Hi,

We have a BT Infinity Business service with 5 static IP addresses. At the moment we have a firewall (watchguard xtm) connected directly to the BT supplied modem. The firewall has the 5 static IP addresses configured and everything is generally ok.

However we need a site-to-site vpn setup and for this to work, the firebox must have one of the static addresses configured on the external interface. The problem is that BT issues a dynamic peering address. From what I've read, this is a common setup and can usually be resolved by using a router/modem with NAT turned off and one of the public addresses used as a local address. The solution in the following post seems typical:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?523028...

Solution as an image:

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/gabi_cavaller/m...

I have two questions:

1, Can anyone suggest a device that will work with fibre - a simple ethernet modem?
2, This solution essentially 'wastes' one of our public addresses, is there a different solution that wouldn't?

Thanks,

Mark
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:50:34
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Business 5 Static IP Addresses Hardware Sugg

[re: markpirvine] [link to this post]

I haven't followed your links, as this isn't really a strong subject for me, but are you aware the Huawei "modem" is a router in bridge mode and is easily unlocked, with some configuration options then available, or can then be used as a modem/router? I assume the ECI one can be used similarly, but the unlocking is not quite so straight-forward.

Might that help?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User markpirvine
(newbie) Wed 02-Jan-13 16:34:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hey,

That could be the way forward - yet another device in the chain doesn't seem like the correct approach.

I've managed to find an unlocked device, that way I don't risk damaging the current device...

Mark

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Jan-13 17:12:08
Print Post

Good luck. Let us know how things go smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 02-Jan-13 19:53:13
Print Post

BT's approach is a bit odd, using an unrelated IP address as the WAN address to route other stuff to a block of IPs. More typical to have a block of addresses one of which is the router's WAN port.

I couldn't see why the proposed approach would be different to using one of the static IPs on the firebox and routing to it via the firewall - I assume the firewall has the PPP donated WAN address.

There are routers with "multi-NAT" or similarly named features to do both NAT and fixed IPs at the same time, but if the watchguard can do the same......

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to