Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 15:36:14
Print Post

Use 3com router 3crwdr100y-72 as wifi signal amplifier

[link to this post]

I am trying to configure this router so that it will work as a wi-fi signal amplifier by picking up and re-broadcasting the wi-fi signal from my main router. I have looked at the following thread, which describes almost what I wish to do, but not quite:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/3578245-h...

The problem is that it seems impossible to change the 3com router's (internal) IP address. In order to try and do this

I reset the router to factory default values and this gives it an IP of 192.168.1.1
I connect the router to the computer via an Ethernet cable
I then log in to the router and go to the LAN settings and change the router's IP to, for example, 192.168.0.100 (a value within the IP pool range of my primary router)

When I click on "Apply", the router software asks if I am sure I wish to do this, I reply in the affirmative, and the router logs me out automatically and advises me to enter the new IP manually in the browser software. When I do so, the computer fails to connect to the router.

I have tried doing the above with DHCP turned on and off but it makes no difference.

Could anyone please help me to solve what appears to be a simple problem. Many thanks in advance.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-13 16:35:38
Print Post

Re: Use 3com router 3crwdr100y-72 as wifi signal amplifier

[re: ngllgn] [link to this post]

Are you changing the IP address of your PC to one in the 192.168.0.n range?

You have changed to IP of the router and the PC does not have any means of routing to it unless you change its IP or plug the router into your network and let the ADSL router do it.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 16:52:06
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Are you changing the IP address of your PC to one in the 192.168.0.n range?

No, I had left the IP address of the PC (well Mac actually) just as it was, so that the computer would continue to connect to the primary (different) router.

You have changed to IP of the router and the PC does not have any means of routing to it unless you change its IP or plug the router into your network and let the ADSL router do it.

Correct yes. I have changed the IP of the router. But I had supposed that the computer would continue to connect via the primary router to the second router, since the second router is being used only as a signal amplifier but not to connect to the internet.

Edited by ngllgn (Tue 08-Jan-13 17:05:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 17:01:33
Print Post

Thanks for getting back to me. Perhaps I need to give more information here.

My primary router has an IP of 192.168.0.1 and assigns IPs to my Mac and other computers and mobile phones attached to my WLAN via DHCP.

The secondary router ie the 3crwdr100y-72 is the one I hoped to use to amplify the primary router's wi-fi signal, but not to connect to the internet. If I connect a computer directly to this secondary router with an ethernet cable, the IP of the router is 192.168.1.1 and it assigns an IP of 192.168.1.2, via DHCP, to the computer.

Thus the Mac has two different IPs, each assigned by one of the routers. What I had hoped to be able to do was to assign a new IP to the secondary router while it was connected to the Mac, disconnect the secondary router from the Mac, reconnect the secondary router via an ethernet cable to the primary router just to check that the primary router can "see" it, and then disconnect the ethernet cable between the two routers which should then talk to each other via w-fi only.

I am clearly doing something very wrong, but I cannot see what.

Edited by ngllgn (Tue 08-Jan-13 17:06:39)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 18:08:05
Print Post

Setting the IP of the router and setting the DHCP addresses given out may be in two different places - I would try changing the 3com's IP and its DHCP range then trying to reconnect to it directly with a cable to be sure the address has been updated.

In service you probably want to turn off the DHCP server of the 3com, you only need its IP to get at its config pages.

If you want the two routers to talk wirelessly that's a different sport, and requires the both support WDS and get on with each other. Do they both have WDS settings pages ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 22:09:03
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Setting the IP of the router and setting the DHCP addresses given out may be in two different places - I would try changing the 3com's IP and its DHCP range then trying to reconnect to it directly with a cable to be sure the address has been updated.

I have now managed to set the 3com router's IP to something other than its default value of 192.168.1.1 and could see that the new IP had been correctly updated.

In service you probably want to turn off the DHCP server of the 3com, you only need its IP to get at its config pages.

Yes, I then disabled the DHCP and the wifi on the 3com router and connected it by ethernet cable to the other (primary) router. At that point I could see both the configuration pages of both the primary and the secondary ie 3com router. However, the 3 com router was not visible on the connected devices page of the primary router, so I am not sure whether the primary router is seeing the router fully correctly or not. It must be seeing it in some way though, since I can get to the configuration page of the 3com router.

However, if I enable wi-fi on the 3com router and then disconnect the ethernet cable between the two routers, I am no longer able to access the 3com router's configuration page. But perhaps that is to be expected. Should that be the case or not?

If you want the two routers to talk wirelessly that's a different sport, and requires the both support WDS and get on with each other. Do they both have WDS settings pages ?

The 3com router certainly has a WDS page, but since my internet service provider has excluded me from reconfiguring my primary router by limiting me to user rather than administrator privileges, I cannot see whether it has WDS or not.

My aim by doing all this is only to try to increase the wi-fi range of the primary router by using the 3com router as a w-fi amplifier. I am not sure that WDS on both routers is necessary to do that, but do not know enough to be categorical either way about that.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jan-13 23:05:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by ngllgn:
I am trying to configure this router so that it will work as a wi-fi signal amplifier by picking up and re-broadcasting the wi-fi signal from my main router. I have looked at the following thread, which describes almost what I wish to do, but not quite:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/3578245-h...

The problem is that it seems impossible to change the 3com router's (internal) IP address. In order to try and do this

I reset the router to factory default values and this gives it an IP of 192.168.1.1
I connect the router to the computer via an Ethernet cable
I then log in to the router and go to the LAN settings and change the router's IP to, for example, 192.168.0.100 (a value within the IP pool range of my primary router)

When I click on "Apply", the router software asks if I am sure I wish to do this, I reply in the affirmative, and the router logs me out automatically and advises me to enter the new IP manually in the browser software. When I do so, the computer fails to connect to the router.

I have tried doing the above with DHCP turned on and off but it makes no difference.

Could anyone please help me to solve what appears to be a simple problem. Many thanks in advance.
The 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router. I have one; it will not configure as the wireless repeater, but will configure as the wireless access point connected to your main router with RJ45 Ethernet cable.

The router IP address can be changed at LAN Settings Unit Configuration LAN Configuration.
Manual page 40 CHAPTER 5: CONFIGURING THE ROUTER

Router DHCP server - OFF

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/support/converter/in...

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2113

http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-to-use-an-old-rou...

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Tue 08-Jan-13 23:26:22)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 09-Jan-13 08:35:35
Print Post

However, the 3 com router was not visible on the connected devices page of the primary router
That's because it didn't give it a DHCP address and it isn't connected wirelessly, it merely co-exists on the same LAN.

WDS is necessary if you wish to repeat entirely wirelessly, you can connect via a wire and provide a second AP easily but to have AP2 feed from AP1 wirelessly requires WDS which needs compatibility and configuration at both ends.

There is no way two standard APs on the same channel communicate other than WDS, they just interfere with each other like if your neighbour uses the same channel.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 11:23:51
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router. I have one; it will not configure as the wireless repeater, but will configure as the wireless access point connected to your main router with RJ45 Ethernet cable.

I am not sure that I fully understand the difference between a wireless repeater and a wireless access point, but I guess that the access point is the point where the wi-fi signal is originated (and of course the router that does this is the only one that is connected to WAN/ADSL.)

The router IP address can be changed at LAN Settings Unit Configuration LAN Configuration.
Manual page 40 CHAPTER 5: CONFIGURING THE ROUTER

Router DHCP server - OFF

Thanks, I understand all the above and have had no trouble getting to LAN settings and turning the DHCP server off on the 3com router. Part of the problem here is that Vodafone ES (my carrier where I live in Spain) gives me only user privileges as far as configuring the primary router is concerned, and therefore as I am unable to access that router either at support or administrator level, I cannot fully configure it to my requirements. I have tried to get round this by resetting the Vodafone router to the factory reset and then reconfiguring it before reconnecting it to the ADSL line, but the moment I reconnect it, the Vodafone server hard-resets it again and restores and imposes their preferred configuration again.

I know this is a different topic altogether, but is there any way that I can stop this imposed hard-reset from happening, such as for example putting the primary Vodafone router "behind" the 3com router, whilst obviously forgetting about trying the use the 3com router as a secondary wireless point, which in any case is obviously not possible as I can't configure WDS on both routers?

If this were possible, or if there were some way of regaining complete control of the primary Vodafone router, then I would be able to configure WDS on it.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/support/converter/in...

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2113

http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-to-use-an-old-rou...

Thanks. All these links are useful.

However, the 3 com router was not visible on the connected devices page of the primary router
That's because it didn't give it a DHCP address and it isn't connected wirelessly, it merely co-exists on the same LAN.

Aha. The 3com router is not visible on the connected devices page of the primary router regardless of whether they are connected by ethernet cable or wifi. But it is accessible through ethernet cable. Is there any way that the primary router might, via DHCP, assign the secondary router an IP number and would there be any point in doing this?

WDS is necessary if you wish to repeat entirely wirelessly, you can connect via a wire and provide a second AP easily but to have AP2 feed from AP1 wirelessly requires WDS which needs compatibility and configuration at both ends.

There is no way two standard APs on the same channel communicate other than WDS, they just interfere with each other like if your neighbour uses the same channel.

Thank you. Understood. Unfortunately I am unable to configure WDS on the primary router as Vodafone have locked me out of that part of the configuration process.

There is another part solution that occurs to me, but it may be that I do not quite understand the hardware correctly. There seem to be some inexpensive plugs, for example Comtrend 9020 Powerline Ethernet Adapters, that can be plugged into the electricity mains, to "carry" the ethernet signal through the electrical wiring. This arrangement would at least save me running a long ethernet cable the length of my house.

Edited by ngllgn (Wed 09-Jan-13 11:26:44)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 11:30:00
Print Post

Powerline is an easy solution with little to no configuration, but I would not recommend Comtrend units.

They may have improved but generally they are cheap as they are the units with the highest level of problems.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to