Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-13 13:32:16
Print Post

Re: Use 3com router 3crwdr100y-72 as wifi signal amplifier

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hello Phil,

Thanks for these tips and the link in the wikinoticia looks as if it may solve it for me, even if the instructions are in Spanish, but after living here for years I should be able to follow them. I will post again to let you know how I have got on.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Jan-13 15:27:57
Print Post

[re: ngllgn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ngllgn:
The 3com router may well have that range, but the problem is that it is not the router supplied by my ISP which is a Huawei Echolife HG556a. I have tried to replace the latter with the 3com router, but I am unable to configure it correctly to talk to the Vodafone servers.
That 3Com 3CRWDR100 router should easily configure as the wireless access point. wink

Configure 3Com router as wireless access point connected with Ethernet to Huawei router LAN port to LAN port.

Vodafone Huawei Echolife HG556a router IP address 192.168.0.1

3Com 3CRWDR100 wireless access point IP address 192.168.0.2
3Com DHCP: Off

Wireless configuration settings.
Huawie SSID: Mickey Mouse
3Com SSID: Minnie Mouse
3Com Channel: Any setting.
3Com wireless security password must be the same setting as the Huawei router.

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-13 15:48:38
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hm. This may be a solution I had not thought of.

Are you suggesting that I continue to use the primary router ie the Huawei to provide access to the WAN, and the secondary router ie the 3com to provide the wifi signal, presumably on the basis that the 3com router may have a better ie greater wi-fi range than the Huawei router?

In order to do the above, should I disable the wi-fi on the primary router, so that only the 3com router is acting as the wireless access point?

Edited by ngllgn (Thu 10-Jan-13 16:18:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 10-Jan-13 16:14:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by E7er:
Vodafone Huawei Echolife HG556a router IP address 192.168.0.1

3Com 3CRWDR100 wireless access point IP address 192.168.0.2
3Com DHCP: Off

3Com wireless security password must be the same setting as the Huawei router.

I don't like that address pair. If the 3Com is off then there is a chance a device may get allocated the 192.168.0.2 IP address.

It is better to put a restriction on the DHCP range, say: 192.168.0.64 to 192.168,0.127 and then fix the second WAP outside that say 192.168.0.201 I have come across one or router where we set the WAP to ..0.2, ..0.3 or ..0.4 but it would not work. Moved it to ..0.40 and it was fine.

Why do the security passwords need to be the same? It might be easier to manage, but not essential.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Jan-13 16:56:45
Print Post

Are you suggesting that I continue to use the primary router ie the Huawei to provide access to the WAN, and the secondary router ie the 3com to provide the wifi signal, presumably on the basis that the 3com router may have a better ie greater wi-fi range than the Huawei router?

In order to do the above, should I disable the wi-fi on the primary router, so that only the 3com router is acting as the wireless access point?
Yes! I would try out the 3Com first it may be adequate and you may not need the Devolo home plugs. wink

You can switch off the Huawei wireless or leave it on. To connect you right click on the windows wireless icon on your computer taskbar and select ‘View Available Wireless Networks’ you should see the 3Com SSID.

To fix the static IP address 192.168.0.2 for the access point, configure within the Huawei router the DHCP server range…
Start DHCP: 21
End DHCP: 250
Save settings.

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-13 17:53:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by E7er:

Yes! I would try out the 3Com first it may be adequate and you may not need the Devolo home plugs. wink

You can switch off the Huawei wireless or leave it on. To connect you right click on the windows wireless icon on your computer taskbar and select ‘View Available Wireless Networks’ you should see the 3Com SSID.

To fix the static IP address 192.168.0.2 for the access point, configure within the Huawei router the DHCP server range…
Start DHCP: 21
End DHCP: 250
Save settings.

Great. Even I should be able to manage this, and try it out before buying Devolo or any other more expensive equipment. (Having said that the Devolo 500 Mbps + Wi-fi does look great!) And this solution will certainly suffice until I can work out definitively if it is possible to reconfigure the Huawei router fully with admin. privileges or not.
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-13 19:19:54
Print Post

Slightly to my surprise, I have been able to reconfigure the Huawei 556 and "poisoned" it sufficiently to regain admin privileges in such a way that Vodafone cannot get back into the router, by which I mean that it does not hard- reset itself and restore Vodafone's preferred settings.

There is one big drawback though. I have done something, obviously by mistake, which has disabled telephony. Thus if I call the fixed line to which the broadband is attached, I get an automated message saying that the number I am calling is not available; if I try to make an outgoing call from the fixed line, there is no dial tone and then there is an automated message telling me to plug the USB modem into the router which provides an alternative through HSPA.

I essentially followed the instructions given in the Wikipedia Method 2 as described here:

http://wiki.bandaancha.st/Huawei_HG556a_de_Vodafone#...

Apart from going to Management/Access Control and deactivating all the boxes under WAN, I also
deactivated the SNMP and TR-069 boxes under LAN
went to Management/SNMP Agent/Configuration and disabled SNMP agent
went to Management/TR-069 agent and disabled it

Then I reconnected the router to the ADSL line and it rebooted perfectly.

Any ideas on
what I need to do to recuperate telephony via the ADSL line?
whether all the steps I took above were really necessary or whether I might tick or enable something that would make it work better?

Many thanks to all again for all your help and any solution to regaining telephony.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 11-Jan-13 10:02:55
Print Post

do you mean normal telephony over the copper line with a phone plugged into the copper, or the phone connection provided on the router ? the latter will be dependent on the configuration that it now doesn't receive automatically.

It's also possible that vodafone's systems use the router's auto-config to switch your phone service on - I think initially at least in some countries you can use a 3G dongle and once the ADSL is up it flips service over.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ngllgn
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 14:37:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
do you mean normal telephony over the copper line with a phone plugged into the copper, or the phone connection provided on the router ? the latter will be dependent on the configuration that it now doesn't receive automatically.

I meant the phone connection provided on the router. Is there any way, with admin privileges, to reconfigure the part of the default configuration that Vodafone imposes, but that the router does not receive automatically?

It's also possible that vodafone's systems use the router's auto-config to switch your phone service on - I think initially at least in some countries you can use a 3G dongle and once the ADSL is up it flips service over.

Vodafone do provide us with a 3G dongle that slots into the router. My understanding is that if we use it, BOTH the telefony and the internet service switch over from broadband ADSL to the 3G HSPA wireless network. Am I correct in thinking this? This is inconvenient for a number of reasons, among them that the 3G network is much slower than the cabled broadband ADSL, that incoming calls cannot be filtered ie caller ID does not work and, rather less importantly that people calling us think they are callling a mobile number (corresponding to the number associated with the SIM in the 3G dongle.

Do you think the 3G dongle might reconfigure the telephony while I still have admin privileges, and that I might then withdraw the dongle from the router and hope that the telephony remained configured? This would be very easy to try.

Edited by ngllgn (Fri 11-Jan-13 14:40:36)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 12-Jan-13 11:25:52
Print Post

I meant the phone connection provided on the router. Is there any way, with admin privileges, to reconfigure the part of the default configuration that Vodafone imposes, but that the router does not receive automatically?
If you can locate the settings page(s) for VOIP or SIP on the router interface, and find the relevant settings to use on the net it should be practical.

Here's a thought - can you let the vodafone settings be installed and then save them to a file from the cut-down user interface ? if so you could load them up manually by reading what's in the file.

I don't know how vodafone switch around the services depending on how you're connecting or if the ADSL is enabled, sorry.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to