Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Sat 02-Feb-13 08:55:46
Print Post

Asus RT-N66U Mounting Upside Down

[link to this post]

I am finally going to have FTTC installed next week (Openreach Delays). I have purchased an Asus RT-N66U to use instead of the BT HH3. When I move things around to accommodate the ORModem and my Asus I want to mount them to a wall.

Can I mount the Asus RT-N66U 'upside down' so the ports and antennas point down (About 2 foot off the ground floor) and will their be any negative effects on the WiFi upstairs or outside?

I have one other question regarding the Infinity 2 install.... Is it better to have the modem and router 1 foot from the master socket or will their be a loss of some speed if I have the modem and router 8 feet from the master socket (with the master in the same place as I don't want to move/add a socket)?
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 10:11:48
Print Post

Re: Asus RT-N66U Mounting Upside Down

[re: SRPhoto] [link to this post]

It will have an effect on the wifi upstairs because of the way the aerials distribute the signal. Having said that, I get the strongest signal from the Asus than I have from any other device I have seen.

You should have the modem near the master socket. It doesn't matter where the router goes (up to 100m).

Edited by boxst (Sat 02-Feb-13 10:12:23)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Feb-13 11:55:07
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

The aerials can be moved to counteract this effect, which I would not expect to be significant anyway.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Sat 02-Feb-13 17:52:26
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

So the modem 1 foot or 8 feet from the master socket could have an impact then.
Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Sat 02-Feb-13 17:54:08
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. It would be better for me if the sockets are pointing down, so the antennas will obviously point the same way'ish.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 22:51:02
Print Post

[re: SRPhoto] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SRPhoto:
So the modem 1 foot or 8 feet from the master socket could have an impact then.
The engineer, if he knows what he is doing - as the contractors that do many FTTC installs are utterly clueless - would refuse to install the modem further away from the master socket than the supplied VDSL2 cable allows. (I think it is 1.5m).

If a free data extension cable is ordered, for use if required, (this is automatically done on Infinity - or at least it was until the latest product change so I can't be sure now), then that can be installed to provide a socket for the modem at any distance up to 30m from the master.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 02-Feb-13 22:51:47)

Print Thread

Jump to