Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Skilty
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-13 11:47:56
Print Post

New Router Recommendations

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I currently have the Sky SR101 with a Netgear WNDR3800(N600) running in wireless AP mode. Unfortunately running in this configuration disables QoS and parental controls and makes it just a gigabit switch with wireless.

I am looking to disable specific MAC addresses on a schedule to prevent my young daughter surfing until midnight. Ideally this would block any access to the internal network as well rather than just the internet to prevent her watching AppleTV with content stored on the local server. Alternatively multiple guest wireless AP that can be switched on and off independently on a schedule as I can put her on her own guest network, but wireless isolation would need to be optional so she can still access printers and the local server.

It should also have dual-mode for wireless and gigabit ethernet ports.

If it can replace the Sky SR101 then great but this is not a "must have", just means one box instead of two!

Not asking much eh? smile

Cheers

Skilty
Standard User dmaidmen
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:12:28
Print Post

Re: New Router Recommendations

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Hi,

Check out Asus's range of routers. I have the RT-N66U and I think it ticks all of your boxes. It definitely has a guest Wi-Fi network and parental controls. There's a review of it in the reviews section of thinkbroadband as well.

Regards,

Duncan

plusnet Extra fibre
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Feb-13 21:30:04
Print Post

[re: dmaidmen] [link to this post]

+1 for this bit of kit. I run the Merlin firmwares and the tweaking that is possible is out of this world Every single device can have its own scheduloe of access to the wi-fi - don't forget the mobiles.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 06-Feb-13 21:34:42
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I'm running the same kit but with stock firmware, and would increment your +1 smile

Bearing in mind that I'm not a great dabbler for it's own sake and the only internet user here (so don't need fancy scheduling or QoS etc), would I gain anything from switching to the Merlin firmware?

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Thu 07-Feb-13 08:29:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
+1 for this bit of kit. I run the Merlin firmwares and the tweaking that is possible is out of this world Every single device can have its own scheduloe of access to the wi-fi - don't forget the mobiles.
DrT
Does the Asus use Broadcom or Infineon?
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 07-Feb-13 08:38:33
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Broadcom, according to Andrew's review:
The router utilises some GPL source code, in common with projects like Oleg/Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT and with a Broadcom 4706 CPU running @ 600 MHz plus 256MB of RAM and 32MB of Flash Memory...

eta afterthought- don't forget that it's a router only, not a modem/router, so there's no matching to the DSLAM chipset involved.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Thu 07-Feb-13 08:42:25)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dmaidmen
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:09:46
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Merlin's traffic monitoring is very thorough and has some lovely graphs. You can also turn the LED's off which might be useful if its in a bedroom however I don't find them as bright as a couple of reviews made them out to be. There's a couple of other nice extras such as mac address lookup and DHCP reservation naming which I used.

As Merlin is based on the Asus firmware you don't lose anything so if there's one feature that might be useful to you its worth upgrade. Info is here by the way if you haven't read it already.

Duncan

plusnet Extra fibre
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:40:04
Print Post

[re: dmaidmen] [link to this post]

Thanks, it might be worth it for the traffic monitoring alone- it's a bit flaky on stock firmware. It doesn't seem to see LAN Airplay traffic, for example.

I'll probably wait until he's got one based on Asus's .270 release- the .260 had a very annoying bug which briefly disconnected IPv6 every hour on the hour, and I can't find any info about whether this was fixed in .264, which is what his is based on.

Bill
Standard User Skilty
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-13 14:05:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:

DrT

Nah I remembered those smile Have the MAC addresses for every piece of kit written down, over 30 devices crazy

An obvious question, with the Sky Hub (SR101) do you simply switch off DHCP etc and then leave the Asus in router mode or do you let the Sky hub perform DHCP etc?

Oh, one last question, FTTC reaches out street in two months, would I then need the BT OR modem, the Sky Hub and the Asus? Should probably mention that I am connecting using MER which I know causes issues if you try and replace the Sky Hub.

Cheers

Skilty

Edited by Skilty (Thu 07-Feb-13 14:09:28)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-13 18:09:37
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Merlin is very responsive. It wouldn't hurt to send a short email...he may have fixed it himself.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to