Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Feb-13 11:27:40
Print Post

Site lookup failures

[link to this post]

This isn't the usual problem
I have recently been getting multiple site lookup failures so I tried the usual options - change DNS servers, set DNS servers in the computer - but it still happened using Firefox and IE on my Win 7 system
This morning the better half came in complaining about problems accessing sites and sending emails - this is on Win XP
So as a last resort I switched from my Netgear DG834G v4 to a cheap Dlink and the problem seems to have gone away.
So I have two questions
Is it possible that the Netgear has developed a fault although the connection is rock steady
Is it possible that the TBB quality meter is swamping the Netgear with the pings. I notice that the base ping is reporting a bit lower on the Dlink
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 11-Feb-13 11:37:30
Print Post

Re: Site lookup failures

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

My guess would be that the Netgear is gently dying, my (limited) experience of Netgear is that they're not built for longevity.
In reply to a post by Oldjim:
Is it possible that the TBB quality meter is swamping the Netgear with the pings.
Nothing's impossible, but unless it's gone wrong the tbb kit only pings once a second- I'd hope that even a Netgear could cope with that!
I notice that the base ping is reporting a bit lower on the Dlink
Could just be that it responds to a ping quicker than the Netgear.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Feb-13 11:49:35
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I think that you are correct
So now I need to think about a new router - and it must be broadcom based as the other chips seem to drop my speed by a couple of hundred kbps (that may not sound much but it gets me a bit too close to the limit for HD streaming)
Of course I could just get a free (except for P&P) TG582n from Plusnet but I really don't fancy that one given the various horror stories - the Netgear is so easy to tweak and set up

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 11-Feb-13 11:50:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 11-Feb-13 11:55:42
Print Post

I've always thought that my TGN582n supplied about a year ago was slightly better than my DGN2200 on my 63db loss line. Both boxes came FOC from Plusnet.

Michael Chare
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 11-Feb-13 12:02:50
Print Post

I'm a fan of Asus routers, my RT-N66U is brilliant, but it's purely a router, no modem.

The DSL-N55U is a combined modem/router version, but it's not cheap:

Amazon

Tbb review

I think they use the Broadcom chipset, but I'm not 100% sure, and as I'm on FTTC I've no experience of its ADSL performance.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Feb-13 20:20:53
Print Post

If you want to you could always try a factory reset and then use a different ethernet cable port at the back of the v4 to connect to and see what happens.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Feb-13 21:30:00
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

As it was happening on two PC's - different ports and different cables - it is probably a lost hope
However will try a factory reset tomorrow and see what happens as i can't lose anything by trying
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Feb-13 22:19:56
Print Post

Yes that doesn't sound too good at all.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Feb-13 16:26:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Early days yet - only 1h 40min - but the hardware reset has made an enormous difference
Internet is much snappier and no site lookup failures
Only one problem - while switching routers i snapped the retaining clip on the RJ45 plug so it is now held in with string and a new 10m lead is on order at vast expense (£2.06 delivered for 10m Cat5e cable)

EDIT - now 8 hours and still good - who would have thought it

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 12-Feb-13 22:30:59)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Feb-13 13:22:47
Print Post

That didn't last long - despite being connected and supposedly having internet no sites will load
Obviously the router has given up
  Print Thread

Jump to