Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dsch
(member) Mon 18-Feb-13 19:56:50
Print Post

ADSL/Fibre Modem Router

[link to this post]

Can anyone recommend a modem/router that I can use on ADSL or ADSL2+ that will work equally well as a router on fibre when I finally upgrade? Will it always be a compromise? Wireless would be useful. I have been recommended the Billion 7800 (being more stable) and Netgear 3700 (better wireless). It will need to accommodate three smartphones, one desktop and one laptop. Streaming video is also high on the list of priorities.

Many thanks for any advice.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 18-Feb-13 20:48:58
Print Post

Re: ADSL/Fibre Modem Router

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

several ISPs are using routers for ADSL where one of the LAN ports can become the WAN port for fibre, dunno if they're in retail land but Ebay may have some.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Feb-13 20:49:00
Print Post

There are no modem/routers yet known to be within Openreach's specified requirements for future fibre product upgrades, although a few are in use. You might find Section 2.4 of this document an eye-opener.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-13 21:18:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OP asked for an ADSL modem/router that can be also used as a Fibre router in the present climate with the present technology rather than looking to future-proofing.

Orange Brightbox (& presumably others) does this but it is locked to Orange user names on the ADSL side only.

{Edited for those who did not appreciate the context of my reply smile}

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 19-Feb-13 01:28:08)

Standard User lexden16
(regular) Mon 18-Feb-13 21:20:49
Print Post

Have a look at Fritz!box. I have the 7390 and I have used in on 20CN, 21CN and FTTC. Having said that there are cheaper models available than the 7390 in the F!B range which should do as well. The 7390 is also a DECT/IP phone base station. F!Bs also come with a 5 year warranty and excellent support.

As an aside, I was speaking to my ISP last week and they are assessing the F!B as their wires only FTTC solution. Clearly, they have yet to see para 2.4.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Feb-13 21:56:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
OP asked for an ADSL modem/router that can be also used as a Fibre router at present.
Heh!

Yes, I missed the point you intended to make, as opposed to what you just said tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-13 22:10:05
Print Post

Cryptic! a la BatBoy? What point was that then? And what did I say that didn't make it?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Feb-13 22:16:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Feb-13 22:24:12
Print Post

Cryptic! a la BatBoy? What point was that then? And what did I say that didn't make it?
In reply to a post by dsch:
... that will work equally well as a router on fibre when I finally upgrade?
|=
... an ADSL modem/router that can be also used as a Fibre router at present.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-13 22:36:38
Print Post

You know very well I'm talking about in the present climate with the present technology. The OP was not asking about future-proofing a la §4.2 of the paper you quoted but just when his exchange is eventually enabled. C'mon, just admit you were on the wrong track!

Duh! Yet another wasted exchange!

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 18-Feb-13 23:04:19
Print Post

I too baulked at "Fibre router at present" as he currently has ADSL.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to