Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User moon69
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 18:31:09
Print Post

Using Switch with cable router (or pppoe router)

[link to this post]

Hello.

I'd like to understand please how using a switch with my cable or (future) fibre router will affect perfomance.

I've currently got a Virgin superhub (Netgear VMDG480) with a wirelessly connected laptop.

The superhub only has 3 ethernet ports and I need 8 so I connected a NetGear GS108 (8 port gigabit switch) to a port on the superhub.

Do I need to do anything special to configure this? Use a particular phyiscal port? Any settings in the router?

Does it matter which port I connect my devices to?
eg: Am I best to have my gaming rig and VPN rig plugged directly into the router and the less "ping sensitive" devices connected to the switch?

I did some testing and weirdly it seems the copying from PC A to B is slightly faster when A is on the switch and B is on the router (compared to both devices on the switch).

Looking forward I will be buying a new pppoe router when I get fibre (FTTC)...
Is it OK performance wise to continue using the switch hanging off the router?
Or should I look for an 8 port wireless pppoe router? (Sadly there are not many of these once I eliminate Netgear).

Any suggestions appreciated.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 19:36:36
Print Post

Re: Using Switch with cable router (or pppoe router)

[re: moon69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by moon69:
Is it OK performance wise to continue using the switch hanging off the router?

Yes, you will notice ZERO latency differences using the switch or the router ports directly - unless your switch, router, or the cable linking the two is faulty.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 21-Feb-13 20:40:39
Print Post

[re: moon69] [link to this post]

Let every device do what it is best at:

Modem to interface to the line*, a router to manage the network and addresses, a switch to direct traffic around te local network.

A hub does all three and there are compromises - so by getting the switch separate the hub can dedicate more resources to te other functions.

Put ALL devices on the switch, additional latency will be in microseconds or less ad you will not notice. It will ten mean the only traffic on the switch to hub/router is that to/from the internet plus a little management data.

*even on cable there is a line interface through the input port - not a modem but a WAN interface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User moon69
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-13 19:30:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks to you both for quick and clear answers.
  Print Thread

Jump to